Left side clunk when harshly accelerating.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekz

As subject says,
When I try to wheel spin, or sometimes (usually when it's wet weather) does it when turning right.

Sound comes from left side, sounds like something slipping then hitting something, like a *clunk*.
I thought it might be the topmount, but it sounds lower down, almost like it's underneath the passenger floor panel somewhere.

Any ideas?

Does it only do it when you accelerate? Is there a vibration too?

Vibration is hard, goes through the entire car, if u were walking past when it does it it would probably startle you and you'd think my wheel had just snapped off or something.

It's typically only ever done it when a fair amount of force is applied to the suspension, i.e. turning a right hard corner quite swiftly (although it stopped doing this about 2 months ago by its own accord). But direct acceleration is always involved in every other case, i.e. going straight, feels like something slips and clunks and like a loss of torque somewhere.

It did it regularly for about a month, and then stopped completely by its own, I just managed to make it do it after deciding to try a wheelspin.

I did notice it tended to do it more frequently when the road was wet when it was occurring before.

Your CV joint is knackered then if you've got a vibration under acceleration I'd say.

The boots are all intact and look good on the c.v. joints, the sound it makes is really loud like a proper clunk, like if you picked up a metal baseball bat and hit a steel girdar as hard as you could.

Is this during hard acceleration in any gear or just from standstill in first??? If just first then I got it too. First noticed when climbing steeeeep drive in first...lots of nasty noises and no movement. Then noticed it happens during fast launch from standstill, although I've put mine down to clutch or gearbox prob.

It's in any gear, but hard acceleration is a factor.
It literally did it every 10 mins for a month. Then it stopped, didn't do it for two months, and then when I accelerated much more harshly than I normally do yesterday to get a big wheelspin it did it.

I'll get a video of it if I can, now I know how to reproduce it, such a nasty sound though I don't like doing it.

Back