Lightening of a flywheel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluezak

Hi there, talking about my autograss puma yet again!

I am having my flywheel lightened and the guy who is doing the machining was asking whether the puma actually needs the notches where the crank sensor are. That's the part of the flywheel where he was going to start taking weight off but as my car is the only one at the track running on injection with the full ECU, the other cars with lightened flywheels are all fine as they are all on carbs so it doesn't matter chopping those bits. I have seen reading other threads that other people have lost up to 2kg on theirs. As my type of racing is all about acceleration, I need the flywheel to lose a good few lbs.

You need the crank sensor if you're running standard management. Can't bypass as such although you could engineer something to take a pulse from elsewhere somewhere along the crank but you'd reintroduce some weight and also add a lot of complexity that you don't currently have using the stock setup.

Latest posts

Back