Long weekend drive

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Went up to Scotland this weekend, meaning a 800 mile round trip so thought it was a good chance to try the mpg capability of the puma.

We left at 1.15am on saturday morning and arrived there at about 8.30 after a very calm, road empty trip. Stopping for coffee at 4.30am at Scotch Corner:
430amcoffee.jpg

Managed to get my usual 44mpg even though the car was stuffed to the gills with my daughters stuff to return now she's moved up there.

Spent a lovely saturday in Stirling including the castle which was well worth the walk up the hill.

Sunday lunchtime and it was time to come home. So filled up at Shell. Unfortunately they were out of V-Power (as most Shell garages are at the moment) so I put normal 95 RON. I was fully expecting crap performance and crap economy as mine is mapped for super unleaded.

Here's the proof of the mileage on the way back - note total mileage so you know I'm not cheating.

Filled to the brim so I can see the petrol so I know it's completely full.
South1Fulltobrim-80101.jpg

180 miles done:
South2-180done-80281.jpg

250 miles done:
South5-250done-80351.jpg

300 miles done:
South6-300done-80401.jpg

Got home at last at 342.9
South8-Home-3429done-80443.jpg

Eventually filled up on the way home from work at 365.1 miles:
Fillup3651.jpg

And managed to only get 34.75 litres in it until I saw the fuel in the filler cap again:
Fillup36513475litres.jpg

34.75 litres = 7.65 gallons

365.1 miles / 7.65 gallons = 47.73 mpg

As I filled up at 34.75 litres, I had at least another 5 litres left. So I could have cracked 400 miles for the tank easily.

I'm happy with that.

:D

Wow, that's pretty impressive!

I've brimmed mine, and drove from mine to Amandas and back twice this week (about 120 miles in total), then from hers to Solihull and back yesterday. Had to stop for fuel on the way back too :(

I just don't really have the patience for economy driving!

Wow yeah I reckon you could easily have hit 400.

Good write up, nice to see it running well on standard fuel too.

Excellent - amazing how many people cant get their head around 400 mile tanks.

Piece of piss in the Puma on the motorway.

Its easily do-able if your willing to sit at 60, but this takes alot of patience.

You just need to think about how you drive, work out if you need to accelerate as quickly and the mpg creeps up.

Means when you want to have a play, you can, knowing the other driving will make up for the low back lane mpg ;)

But you're running on 17s that have a slightly larger rolling radius than standard 15s...

Still good going though.

Bok! what have you done? No we will get Dal's 15/17 comparison graphs, charts and figures! :)

BOK said:
But you're running on 17s that have a slightly larger rolling radius than standard 15s...

Still good going though.

17s give you an extra 59 metres for every mile you travel so there is some advantage to mpg : about 29.5 miles for my 800 round trip.

:eek:k:

DradusContact said:
Bok! what have you done? No we will get Dal's 15/17 comparison graphs, charts and figures! :)

What you implying mister? :derr:

No reason why a 1.6 can't do the same as a 1.7 Chris :eek:k:

Both had figures of 38mpg on parkers:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Sum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 260&page=3

I haven't got below 40 for ages though.

Yay :) Im about to buy a 1.6 so its always good to know its capable of around 40 if driven appropriately. Although, I'm so excited about owning one, I'll probably use twice as much petrol as is necessary due to random drives in the countryside :D

Don't worry - you'll find you need to go out for totally inappropriate reasons for a while "It needs a run" "We need more bread" "Can't walk that far - we need to drive" etc..

I still do it now :D

Dal said:
Don't worry - you'll find you need to go out for totally inappropriate reasons for a while "It needs a run" "We need more bread" "Can't walk that far - we need to drive" etc..

I still do it now :D

haha, yeh thats definitely gonna be the case, as our village shop is a good 2 minute walk, and involves scaling an epic hill!! :-D

EDIT-When I say 'epic', I really mean 'pathetic':)

btw Dal, I was looking at a pic of your puma and wanted to ask u a q or two about it....

http://www.projectpuma.com/album_showpa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... pic_id=466

Ask away..

(I'll split the thread depending on what the question is..lol)

Answered.

Having it lowered and on 17s the way it is does make it noticably firmer on the road, but also more planted when at speed, such as motorway driving.

The 17" alloys also give more mpg on a run as well as I posted about further up the thread.

Back