lost my key

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevecvo

For the first time ever I seem to have lost my car key. I think it must have fallen out of my pocket and I have no idea where. I had a spare which I got from a local key cutting place but the chip went in it about a year ago and now I don´t know where this is either. Luckily the Puma is a second car but it is now sitting on the drive locked and I can't even get into it. If I go to a Ford dealer with the vehicle VIN can they order me a new key or is it more complicated than this?

Will the second key you have not unlock the door??
I am unsure if ford will order you a replacement key alone or new key + new ignition barrel.
You will need log book as proof of ownership before they will order your key

If I understand Stevecvo's post he can't find the second key either.

A Ford dealer should be able to locate a key code (for a price!).

new key from a dealer could set you back £150 and you have to prove who you are and you are the owner of the car, you can however sometimes claim for a new key via the insurance

AA or RAC can normally get you into the car but not sure where they stand if you cannot even find a spare

In worst case it is quite easy to get it open with a strong wire, I do it in about 10 mins. Just block carefully the doorframe above with some piece of wood, make an angle to the wire to get to the doorhandle. You can pull it easily on a Puma. Doorframe will be forced a litlle bit which is unavoidable. Push it back.
Now that would be last option though , Ford could make a new one but won't be cheap as mentioned above (I didn't know it was that much..) Hope you just find it back like I did after 2 days

You can get any key from eBay (used one) and then recode your lock. It consists of small metal parts which have to be aranged in a way the key is cut. No need for new locks, you can just 'recode' the existing ones. That is how Ford would do it. That leaves you only with the transponder being a problem, but that can be recoded as well at dealer's

Either get a locksmith to pick your lock, and they can give you the key code for you to get cut, or they can do it for you. If you feel confident, buy one of the following Tibbe decoders and do it yourself! Either way, you'll need to buy at least one transponder key (preferably two, so you can code more yourself), to have coded to the ignition transponder, in order to start the car:
Ford Tibbe decoders:
http://www.walkerlocksmiths.co.uk/car-picks-tools/ford-tibbe-picks
Ford Vehicle Lock Sets And Repair Kits:
http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=1407321&s_id_model=2

Thanks everyone. That is really informative - if a bit depressing! As I live in Portugal the position is a bit more complicated but one way or another it looks as if I can get the doors unlocked and with a decoder get a new key cut. The problem then seems to be to get a new key synced with the imobiliser. The dealer can do this but I can't start the car to get it to the dealer. Are there any software gizmos to do this at home? In the meantime I am going to go round all the places where the original key could have fallen out of my pocket. I have exhausted possibilities in the house.

You can program the transponder using a laptop but you'd need the correct USB to OBD interface, the software and some time to figure it all out. Also needs two keys.

If you get that far that you have working keys then you also have the option of changing the ECU and installing the transponder which comes with that in to your new key. Less messing than coding your own and probably a higher chance of success. Slightly worse news that its a 1.4 so I've nothing on the shelf for that although being how there's less demand for 1.4 ECUs it may work out cheaper. Just make sure you get the right one, sticker will have a four letter word code on it, MEAT or PEST I think for yours depending on age.

I have now found the spare key but the cutter tells me that the transponder has failed. At least I can get into the car now and I having sent photos of the key blade I am awaiting delivery of two new keys cut to fit my locks and with new transponders. The next step will be to get the new keys coded to the car and I am awaiting the USB to OBD connector to do this. I will post up how I get on.

I'm very-very-very interested for the interface and software to talk to the ECU.

I've bought one 'VCM' on ebay, with FoCOM software, but there is no communication with my Puma...

I have software to read fault codes etc but I was unable to find any software to access the PATS programme so I now need to find a local professional who can do this and code the two new keys that I have. I would strongly advise anyone who has only one key to get a second and have it programmed from the first one. I bought two keys with transponders from auto-locksmith on ebay at a total cost of just under £40 delivered. I emailed a photo of my key and they cut new keys and dispatched them the next day.This is over half of the price quoted to me by a local locksmith for the same thing. A locksmith can code a new key from a working key which is how I got my first spare. As I have found out to my cost losing your only working key creates big problems.

According to the instructions I've found, to record a new key in PATS, you must have already 2 valid keys.

So, I've ordered a 'transpoder chip alone' and I will try to record it, because for materiel key it's easy to found a locksmith able to cut a new one, but to ID chip, I've not found any solution yet, except the Ford ECU reprogramming, with the Ford request for to much £/€

.AleX. said:
[post]354417[/post] According to the instructions I've found, to record a new key in PATS, you must have already 2 valid keys.
That much I know is incorrect.

My Puma came with only 1 key and I had a new key cut and programmed by a local locksmith for around £33.

Frank is correct. When I bought my car it only had one key and a local locksmith cut and programmed a second key from that at a cost of about €40. My problem of course is that I no longer have a working key to clone another one from.

I've checked in my (french) Owner's manual, and there is different things..

I fact, depending of the key you have, the method is not the same :D

My keys are not remote model, and in this case, I need a set of two valid keys to programming a new one.
The method in this case is these one :
Cherie said:
[post]25218[/post]
1. Insert the first programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the lock cylinder from O position to II position (maintain ignition lock cylinder in the II position for one second).
2. Turn ignition lock cylinder to the O position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
3. Within five seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to the O position, insert the second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition lock from the O position to the II position (maintain the ignition lock cylinder in the II position for one second).
4. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the O position and remove the second key from the lock cylinder.
5. Within ten seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to the O position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the lock cylinder and turn the lock cylinder from the O position to the II position (maintain the ignition lock cylinder in the RUN position for less than 5 seconds).
6. Check the new programmed key starts the engine: Turn the ignition key to the II position for five seconds then try to start vehicle with the new programmed key.

But for keys with remote (IR and Radio), you are right, one is enough ;) http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=39

My Portuguese car does not have remote locking and when I bought it it only had one key. I took this key to a local locksmith and he cut a second key and cloned its transponder to the first key. It worked perfectly for several years.

Maybe some locksmith have a tool to duplicate the key's chip... in this case, no need to record the new key, because this is a clone of the first one.

.AleX. said:
[post]354474[/post] Maybe some locksmith have a tool to duplicate the key's chip... in this case, no need to record the new key, because this is a clone of the first one.
We know. That is what the last few posts have been telling you.

Btw we also all have Owner's Manuals, they come with the car, so already know what is written in them. :wink:

Stevecvo said:
[post]354404[/post] I have software to read fault codes etc but I was unable to find any software to access the PATS programme so I now need to find a local professional who can do this and code the two new keys that I have.
The only freely available software for this that I know is Forscan and (I read your post on their forum) it seems that isn't working for you. Unless you can resolve that (Email them direct?) or find other software, then it looks like these are your choices -

#1. Get car to professional.
#2. Get mobile professional to car.
#3. Replace ECU.
#4. Ask local police (again?) if your key has been found.

#1 - #3 are not likely to be cheap options, I'm afraid. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.

Back