Low engine oil run...(help please)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo Zaga

:-( yes it was happened... i have checked the oil level and it was very low, it was in the bottom, just marked it, unfurtnately the car was on the road and i have drived for about other 15km to home, without go fast, and at home i have stopped the car. The car has always had the over heating problem, Isn't that due to the low oil level? From this point i have decided to do a complete car check, with all filters and oil change, (next the gearbox change) and to pick up the car in the ramps to do the oil change i have started the car and i have pick up the car in the ramps,the engine have word for about 1 minute, but when i have stopped the puma, i have smelled a burning smell...after that i haven't restart the car, and i have taken out the old oil, and i have add 1 liter of oil, because i have to re buy it, while we are at it, what is the exactly quantity of oil? Sorry for the long message, but i'm very afraid of this problem. :-(

The burning of oil smell might be from the rocker cover gasket (which is a known problem for Puma's) this one will the easiest to see:
See Here

For the amount of oil: see here

As above, pull the cam cover and check for handfuls of silicone. If the job has been done properly no silicone is required.

Thank you guys, this morning i added the oil, and the engine seems like runs smooth and well, i think its all ok. When i have two minutes, i want to do this work to see the gasket conditions :grin:

The lowest oil postion on dipstick is really a warning. If low oil pressure lamp has not been on, you are safe. Puma engine is to be topped up to about 4,5 litres of oil IIRC. However, the engine will operate normally as long as the pump is getting the oil supply from the oil pan. I think, if not driven agressively, the engine would operate normally even with less than 2 litres of oil (point of not being driven agressively is the oil starvation for the pump due to low quantity of oil in the sump). When you compare Ford, or other European manufacturers with Asian ones, it is incredible how little oil goes in asian engines (Honda, Mitsubishi etc). For instance, B16A2 honda engine operates with 3,3 litres of oil, if I am not mistaken. Puma engine of similar capacity and identical service interval (and having to use higher quality of oil!) needs almost 50 percent more oil...

Thank you! The puma seems like ok, now have new 5w30 magnatec castrol oil and its good! :)

Back