Mazda MPS progress - **Now sold**

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
So after the "look at me" orange of the Focus ST, I've gone for a more covert and subtle car and a bit of a left field choice.

It's a '57 Mazda 3 MPS in sunlight silver with 39000 miles on the clock.

2.3L Direct injection turbo (rumored to be the basis of what's going in the next Focus RS - seeing as Mazda make most of the Duratec engines anyway...)

260PS and 280lbft torque as standard. Having a TMIC (top mounted inter-cooler) the pipes to the turbo are far shorter than a FMIC so there is virtually no turbo lag at all. Just instant grunt from the power and seeming endless torque.

Pics:

94db022c-eb3f-4fea-baee-2e2540e37a81_zpsb67f08f0.jpg

P1010833Medium_zps2b1bfc4d.jpg

P1010817Medium_zps953cba88.jpg

P1010816Medium_zps093b3c03.jpg

P1010821Medium_zps04a7244d.jpg

P1010823Medium_zpsa505e4c0.jpg

P1010836Medium_zps1c6cf0b5.jpg

P1010837Medium_zpsba5d95b4.jpg

P1010839Medium_zps44d817ef.jpg

P1010831Medium_zpsc0071aed.jpg

P1010830Medium_zps1ae8bf84.jpg

Bet none of you guessed that one...?

(Yip / Paul - got any spare alloys you don't want as the RX8 fit straight on? lol (I've already got a spare set of the std ones..))

That's an excellent choice :) looks very good it's not got the funny little wing mirrors of the Aero version

I specifically didn't want an Aero with it's stupid M3 mirrors and extra big rear spoiler. I might go for the Aero Eibach springs at some point but we'll see...

It was hard to find one - there were only 193 non Aero sold in 2007, and less than 500 before the Gen2 version came along in 2010!

I knew someone who had the Aero MPS - it was for sure a bit of a beast, really good acceleration. I quite like the aero look ones.

But nice choice Dal, funny how you and Neil both announce the purchase of a Mazda on the same day

*waits for Cherie and Matt's next moves* :lol:

Yup - going to sell that on before putting DAL3D on it. Been offered £250 by regplates already!

Cool :) and since the 3 is basicaly a focus underneeth, it should handle grate as wel :)

Cracking choice mate and not left field at all. Was a very serious contender for me along with the 6 MPS which I preferred to the 3. I was the one who went totally left field with the rotary :lol:

And sorry, no spare wheels I'm afraid. I tried to 'confiscate' the old ones when I got all mine replaced under warranty but Mazda were having none of it :lol:

Again, cracking choice and same to Neil as the MX5 was on a recent wishlist of mine.

Should change the site name to Project PuMaz maybe? :lol:

Could do with this engine and a MX5 mk3 6spd gearbox for my next 7 build. If I'm not mistaken this is the Ford Ranger engine with a turbo, a distant relative of the Caterham CSR 260. Good left field choice, I bet it goes like stink :)
Barry

tuonokid said:
Could do with this engine and a MX5 mk3 6spd gearbox for my next 7 build. If I'm not mistaken this is the Ford Ranger engine with a turbo, a distant relative of the Caterham CSR 260. Good left field choice, I bet it goes like stink :)
Barry

The new Ford Ranger are fitted with either a 2.2 or 3.2 Diesel engine which are fitted with turbos, the Ranger engines are made by Ford in Daganham.

The older Rangrs where based on the Mazda B-Series and had a Mazda 2.5 Litre turbo Diesel engine.

Bentleya said:
tuonokid said:
Barry

The new Ford Ranger are fitted with either a 2.2 or 3.2 Diesel engine which are fitted with turbos, the Ranger engines are made by Ford in Daganham.

The older Rangrs where based on the Mazda B-Series and had a Mazda 2.5 Litre turbo Diesel engine.

You'r right, but isn't there a petrol engien aviailable in the ranger as wel? other than the v6/v8?
not realy shure whatr they come whit anymore, we only sel diesels over here :)
the Ford maverik has a 2.3 mazda engien, it might be a derivative of that.

The Maverick never had a 2.3 early ones had Nissan engines, later ones had a 2.0 Zetec or a 3.0 V6 fitted