Mazda MPS progress - **Now sold**

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dal said:
Your reading it wrongly. Dal (me) and 3D (kind of my job)

Although a Mr dale has enquired about buying it!
I know what it says - I was being martin007 silly. :-D

Used 12 tanks now and averaging 33mpg.

Hmm very interesting! Mind you if I get one you won't feel like it's a rarity (not that you see me much!). Def won't for at least a year in any case.

There are some good bargains to be had with them :eek:k:

Looking great Dal!!!

Silver is a hard one for cameras to pick up, but in the flesh they do look amazing :thumbs:

Ha - You would't accept the offer of £300 for you number plate :D.

Cheers mate - hope the orange beastie is behaving himself!

VorTeX said:
Ha - You would't accept the offer of £300 for you number plate :D.

£300? Peeerrlease! If you want to make a sensible offer, then let me know ;)

:lol:

Very nice car, and very nice engine!! The new focus RS and Euro release of the Mustang is said to be using a variant of this engine. It's like a stroked version of the ST150 engine, but has stronger crank and more counter balance weights. And as you say, the direct injection which helps to run the fairly high compression and turbo. Not many people know about this car, I'm sure it was one of the most powerful stock FWD cars on the market a few years back. I wante one of these engines for my puma but couldn't find one for less then £4k!

Very good choice!!

Cheers Errol!

Yeah, the engine is a bit special. All the more special as it's a relative unknown this side of the pond. They go mad for the 3 and 6 MPS in the states (or Mazdaspeed3 / 6 as they call them)- so much so that it's often cheaper to import mods from there and pay import duty than buy from the UK - if it's even available here!

Funny you say that, that's exactly what I did when I built my 2.0, it was cheaper to buy the bits from US and take the tax on the chin!

How does it feel compared to the ST? Both similar sized engines, both turbocharged.

I know it's not your cup of tea, but there was a guy in America got 400bhp from a stock engine, so shows how good it is. I hope to see yours at a meet sometime!

You'd have seen it at the Leics meet on Saturday!

As long as you uprate the fuel pump, they're good for 400bhp on stock internals apparently. Go forged after that and there's 5-600bhp monsters around with hybrid turbos and whatnot. Clutch and driveshafts are fine for that apparently unlike the Focus counterparts that are made from soft cheese in comparison!

It's got a fair bit more mid-range torque than the 5 pot ST I had which had about the same overall power. With the miles I do the cruise control is nice too as is the Bose stereo with sub ;)

A nice step up then!! Not taking anything away from the focus, I like them too!!

I didn't know the Liecester meet was on, I've not looked at meets because I'll be gutted to see all the pumas and I don't have mine!!

But I'm sure there will be other opportunities!!

PumaNoob said:
..Not many people know about this car, I'm sure it was one of the most powerful stock FWD cars on the market a few years back. I wante one of these engines for my puma but couldn't find one for less then £4k!

Very good choice!!

Just over 2k now!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-3-6-CX7-2-3-MPS-L3-VDT-ENGINE-/370821542663?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5656afb307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dal said:
Just over 2k now!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-3-6-CX7-2-3-MPS-L3-VDT-ENGINE-/370821542663?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5656afb307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't you get me started down that route mate. Seems expensive, but when you consider it's got a forged crank, I think forged pistons & rods, and direct injection, it would save a lot of money on rebuilding so could actually work out cheaper.

Anyhow, I have my mind set on something already, but maybe on another build!

Took the >Sure Motorsport shortcut< off today to see how the gear change is without it (can't remember if it's better or not) and it's going into Mazda on Wednesday for a full service which includes spark plugs, gearbox oil change, brake fluid change and all the filters - excluding Air filter as I have a K&N in.. speaking of which - I had a look at it today after 9000 miles of being in and it hardly looks used at all:

Front:
IMG_20140223_132554_zps0yekkjll.jpg

Back:
IMG_20140223_132609_zpsfvv3rd6i.jpg

Short shift in before removing:
IMG_20140223_131727_zpss8whlavg.jpg

Cherie just said that she doesn't like my car and preferred the Focus..

:'(

Just have to get and RS won't I?

:twisted: