Modifications affecting reliabilty?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z-fella

Hi puma heads :D

I did a search and did not find a thread on this topic specifically.

I'e been toying with which modifications to do, especially a lightened fly wheel and uprated clutch. After speaking to various mechanics alot seem to think modifications will affect the reliability of the cat. I've been advised to leave the engine and gearbox and work on improving the handling instead.

Would be interesting to hear your stories of what stuff has gone wrong due the modifications you've done.

On a side note who's taking their puma's out in the snow today? :? I'm half tempted as got new rainsport 2 tyres on her. Got the day off work anyway. :thumbs:

As someone who has never modified either of his Puma I will merely make the observation that there is more scope for improving the engine and lots of scope for compromising the already excellent handling.

Factory fresh, the Puma set new standards of handling for an accessible car. Now it could be yours has deteriorated over the years and needs bringing back to standard spec/performance.

Lowering is often done for cosmetic reasons, but this inevitably degrades the ride unless a lot of other work is done at the same time.

Ginger Tom said:
Changing the flywheel and clutch shouldn't have an adverse affect on your puma. Your mechanics need shooting IMO

lol they are good friends of mine, surprising they are passing up on the work. He was a puma head before he had a family and needed to change his car. Actually it was his slightly modified puma that converted me to a fan. :)

jacko said:
i mod mine on a 'whatever breaks first' basis!

I think this is what I'll do.

XIIVVX said:
As someone who has never modified either of his Puma I will merely make the observation that there is more scope for improving the engine and lots of scope for compromising the already excellent handling.

Factory fresh, the Puma set new standards of handling for an accessible car. Now it could be yours has deteriorated over the years and needs bringing back to standard spec/performance.

Lowering is often done for cosmetic reasons, but this inevitably degrades the ride unless a lot of other work is done at the same time.

I do need to replace a rear leaking dampner, definately affecting the handling and definite fail on next mot, not sure f to go original shocks and eibach -30mm springs or -40mm Spax or PI springs or adjustable coil overs??? I've never owned a lowere car before.

why would you lighten the flywheel and decrease the initial torque of the engine, if your planning on modifying a puma this should be a the bottom of the list of jobs to do, you wouldnt feel much if any benefit from it without other mods like, exhaust, cams, headwork etc.

If you want a puma you can use daily and enjoy then ignore the engine the puma will never be super fast, concentrate on the handling, poly bushes, strut braces etc.

As regards to your initial post... mods ive done that have gone wrong? None.

gingerdave said:
Tell me why you would want to lighten the flywheel and uprate a clutch on what i presume is a road car?.The only advantage in my experiance is an aching left leg and a tendancy to stall .

I might get flamed for this, as I don't know much about engines if anything at all but I like the sound of the engine with lightened fly wheel (ducks and runs :| ). Think I'll stay clear of it now. don't fancy stalling often.

PumaJay said:
If you want a puma you can use daily and enjoy then ignore the engine the puma will never be super fast, concentrate on the handling, poly bushes, strut braces etc..

Yes it will be a daily driving car. I will do this, just concentrate on the handling with an induction kit for sound.

The more I read the more ideas I have for moding my puma. dangerous hobby this. :? :)

cheers for the advice folks :grin:

i sent my flywheel off to a very good engine builder and he said it was light enough for anything bar racing!

uprated clutch; ford focus 1.8...oem easy to press down but its a little bigger so grips harder and wont burn out. plus as its 'oem / boring' its dirt cheap!

dampers...be rude not to put something a little sportier on...some cheapish coilovers?

Matey if you want to be able to drive it quicker on the road keep it standard and go and do a few trackdays with tuition.You will be so much more confident driving near the limit on the road and will probably be quicker than someone who has a modified car but never go near a track.

Don't know fcuk all about Pumas ,only bought mine 2 weeks ago but i must say they are so nicely balanced for a FWD car .If you must spend some money on it i think all they need is some decent tyres, braided hoses ,some bigger brakes and maybe some different brake fluid.You would then have a nice handling economical fun car.You could spend ££££s on engine mods and it might reach 100mph 4 secs quicker, big deal.

Back