MOT booked and oh for f***'s sake...RUST AGAIN!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickydink

Ok so my MOT is booked for Friday the 3rd of April. £40...was only £30 last year but hey ho! Go with the times lol! Just best pass thats all, should do! Only ever had probems wth wheels on my puma.

Hoovered the car out today and then just had a quick look about and there is now rust appearin on the frame of the passenger door along just under where the puma scuffplates lie...also quite bad rust on the actual chassis all along the underside of the drivers side :(

Dads mate going to have a look and tell me what can be done so will come back with the verdict once thats done!...Cant afford to be having any rust repair doing...grrrr!

Good luck with the MOT Vicky :)

I got shit loadsa rust on mine.. all vova.. dont have the cash to sort it just yet Im afraid though :(

Best of luck on the MOT.... have to do mine in 3 weeks (approx)..

As to rust on mine ... couple of teeny spots on both doors, which I will sort as soon as poss' now that the weather is better.

The passenger side arches are fine. Front drivers is fine... rear drivers arch has a 2-3 inch section I would described as 'mid-stage' - which I may sort, or may get pro's to do a new arch section.

Prior to the MoT will have the car up in axle stands a do a self- service, so will have a peek at the underside then.... here's hoping!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Puma that isn't afflicted with rust these days. My FRP didn't have a single patch on her when I bought her, but this winter hasn't done the bodywork any favours at all.

I still admire the Puma, and 99 % of the Pumas I see have the old rust acne around the rear wheel arches

That I do not miss on my new car…!

I never had any...so I thought...lol

Only found it when I washed it last week, a little bubbling in a random place on the drivers rear quarter and ever so slight rusting inside the drivers rear arch lip.

Need to get some kurust on it and waxoyl...but that will never happen knowing me...lol

mine has the same rust problems in her rear arches and behind her driver's side door mainly! :( its awful when every time you wash them you can see it get just that little bit worse! saving up the money to get it all fixed and repsrayed but it seems to cost quite a bit of money!

Yeh rust is the bane of my life! It's like a nagging thing that you know is wrong on the car. I think it's in the genes of Fords.
I also have rust on the rear arches where it can be seen and also on the bottom edge of the doors.

It must hurt...

If you want your car looking like new then you need it replacing so it stays away. Should help when I come to sell it, as has been said, there arent many with no rust so mine should stand out.

vickydink said:
there is now rust appearin on the frame of the passenger door along just under where the puma scuffplates lie...also quite bad rust on the actual chassis all along the underside of the drivers side :(

Been saying for years that metal sill/scuff plates cause more damage than they protect...hence I always pull a face when people say they've fitted them.

Stainless steel is harder than paint so guess what wears away first...

First to go is usually the paint around the drain hole at the door bottom which exactly where you'll find moisture. The Puma sills are NOT flat but curved and tapered, the sill plate lifts and rubs the door bottom, repeat until paint is rubbed off...being under the door it festers unknown.

Next to go are the sills especially if the plate has been fitted close to the sill edge and is rubbing (sills do flex when driving along/cornering), paint rubs off and rust starts. If you're lucky you will see it, if it's under the sill plate where it is both hidden and where moisture sits you'll be in for a surprise later on!

The Puma does have wide, rouded door sills. Mine were heavily scratched (for some reason) from when I bought it. I might get some sill covers or something to hide it. The scratches have let in moisture and rust.

perhaps these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Puma-Stainle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 240%3A1318

Does anyone have experience of them?

I bet the unsealed grommet in your bulkhead won't help the rust either.

:hide:

heading to a bodyshop near me in a couple of weeks time to get her looked at and see what he can recommend for it so i'll post and let all you guys know! he thinks he can atleast fix the rusted areas (taking bits out, grinding it down, throwing in some isopon then spraying it!) and atleast stop then getting worse until i can get a full respray done! *fingers crossed*

My dads mate going to look at the rust for me, its all along the sunderside of drivers side. Col has me paranoid about my scuff plates now so i may try taking them off and hope there is no damage...

My passenger side not too bad, just a few spots.

My gromit hasnt been sealed yet but i will maybe ask garage to do this for me on Friday when it goes in for MOT if i dont do it on Sunday or Monday on my days off.

Right dads friend is snowed under with work for body repairs so said he cannot look at mine for at least another 4 weeks. All i want is a quote tho at mo so willg et dad to have a word again!

CAr failed the MOT today as the passenger side spring was broken so the garage rung and said they can do it for another £44 plus labour so thats all done and fixed now!

£125.14 later...not as bad as it could have been though!

I`ve jus bought a puma, stripped the whole backend interior and found out why its rusting on the archs, gettin sorted out for the summer mate told me to get rid of the rust then weld some metel over it and shape it up cos they dont sell wheel archs for it,

Latest posts

Back