MoT fail? Front subframe rust with pics

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

Ok so I'm doing annual service and inspecting underside, just catching any rust spots early. Anyway I spotted this through the front subframe. Inside the subframe there's a vertical brace that joins the upper bit with the lower bit. It looks like this has succumbed to tinworm on mine.

To get your bearings the pic was taken inside the offside front wheel arch, just behind the driveshaft. The bit in the middle is the lower suspension arm.

I'm wondering if this constitutes an MoT fail? I do have a spare subframe that I've de-rusted and painted up but changing them over would be a big pain in the ass and I'd rather not do that job if I don't have to. IMG_20210308_165626.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_165651.jpg
    IMG_20210308_165651.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 60
Doubt it looks like surface rust. Does disintegrate or go through if a screwdriver is prodded into it? I think this is the basic method inspectors use around the rusty area to check how rotten it is.

Van_Dammesque said:
Doubt it looks like surface rust. Does disintegrate or go through if a screwdriver is prodded into it? I think this is the basic method inspectors use around the rusty area to check how rotten it is.

I daren't prod it. I think I'll give it a liberal coating of wax before the MoT.

Latest posts

Back