MOT Failure - Any Advice?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryY

Just had MOT failure on my Puma, it failed on "Nearside and Offside front lower (rear) bonded suspension unit bonding failed and part of unit is likely to become displaced".

As the place I take it to doesn't allow the MOT testers to actually talk to the customer the guy on the desk just said oh yeah the bonding on your suspension is failing. I couldn't think what the hell that was so I had a look and cant see anything bonded. The bushes on the back of the wishbones are starting to look a bit tired, is that what they mean do you think?

That's usually an area of MOT interest (The wishbone bushes at the rear).

Their description sounds terrible. Have you had a look at the bottom of the damper to see if it looks ok?

The Dampers seem fine, there's no leaking, splits or anything obvious. It is a terrible description though! I just don't want to go and replace the wishbones and it goes back in and fails!

I have two lightly used wishbones for sale £20 plus postage.

Seems a reasonable enough description to me.

Also as strange as it seems its not unheard of to do remedial work for an MOT fail and for the car to fail on the retest on parts previously passed at the same MOT station.

In life theres no guarantees, I would be happy if my car failed on just this. :thumbs:

I agree, it is reasonable. I just wasn't 100% sure that the description they gave was the wishbone bushes. I had never heard them described as bonded suspension unit.

I am just frustrated with myself that I didn't pick up on them when I checked the car over. This is the 2nd time I've taken it too, the first time the hose from the thermostat to the HCV popped just as the emissions test was being done! So they had to abandon the test. All sorted now though.

I am interested in you wishbones you have for sale though. It will have to wait till Monday though till I have some spare cash. if you still have them then I will take them.

I've just done a little research so I know what everyone is talking about, and it's suggested the description in wrong.

It seems to relate to either the rear beam bushes or the wishbone bushes, although I can't work out which.

Either are reasonably easy to do as DIY, with the rear beam being the most physically demanding.

To be honest, we can't always spot everything unless we know exactly what to look for. And we don't even know what that particular tester considered as a fail or not.

yer the reasons they give you on the mot system to fail a car have some very strange wordings! but that is the
front wishbones - rear bushes!

I did the rear beam bushes before the MOT, I foolsihly bought these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150839585403
thinking that it stated that they were easy to fit so similar to Poly Bushes but not quite as harsh, but easier than fitting originals. I now have poly bushes. These items were a bad fit, needed pressing in to get in properly and when they went in the outer diameter of the bush was to big for the inner diameter of the beam. So I binned them and got Powerflex. Much better and not harsh at all. Really impressed with them. I would consider doing the fronts too but budget is tight at the moment.

Yeah Mondays fine Barry, I don't think your choice of rear bushes was a bad one on the face of it those bushes are a good compromise.

Back