MOT thread - creaking suspension

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanwheel

I couldnt find a dedicated thread so thought it might be interesting to start one up, to document our trials and tribulations at MOT time...

Mine is going in Thursday. Here is last years' fail sheet:

Last year was a bit of a shock (the mot from the year before via the dealer who sold the car to me had not even 1 advisory haha) but got it all sorted, my pocket a bit lighter.

Since then ive had the cam belt and waterpump done, but 2 advisories still remain - "front suspension rust" and "n/s/r outer body sill rust" so these are a little worry for Thursday. Puma lives in the dry and only comes out on sunny days & don't think it has deteriorated too much, but you never know...

Hi Will
I hope it passes for you. The NSR outer body sill rust is a worry as whatever you've got on the outside it's generally twice as bad on the underside.
Barry

Hi Barry - she passed!

Just needed a cracked brake hose replacing which I hadn't noticed. I'm chuffed as I was worried about last years ' advisory and more sill welding being needed.

Garage said the sill doesn't look too bad. More detail on the suspension rust in the new advisory:

I hope these are easily replaceable if/when necessary? I suppose the chassis leg might be a bit more involved. Im thinking of ordering the full ex pressed sills when I'm feeling a bit more flush to future proof things if I can.

Also thanks dingwells - me too. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep her as a cherished 2nd car in the garage and off salted roads in the winter. Just wish I had more skills to do more myself

Will

Hi Will
The chassis leg will be fine as it's thicker gauge steel, the problem area will probably be the triangular area right at the rear of the inner sill or the bottom of the inner wheel arches as they are both spot welded to the chassis rail.
Barry

Thanks Barry I appreciate your advice. Will keep a close eye on the sills and underside as time goes on...hopefully being kept in a dry garage helps. I will trawl your thread again for rust proofing tips!
Will

Hi, MOT History of my Puma.

Check the MOT history of a vehicle
Registration number: W981XHJ

Vehicle makeFORD Vehicle modelPUMA Date first used23 March 2000 Fuel typePetrol ColourSilver

MOT history of this vehicle
Test date18 March 2016 Expiry date23 March 2017 Test ResultPass Odometer reading14,011 miles MOT test number5181 0729 3228
Test date23 March 2015 Expiry date23 March 2016 Test ResultPass Odometer reading13,918 miles MOT test number8688 0218 5022
Test date18 March 2014 Expiry date23 March 2015 Test ResultPass Odometer reading12,942 miles MOT test number6378 3747 4045
Test date12 March 2013 Expiry date23 March 2014 Test ResultPass Odometer reading12,212 miles MOT test number1182 4157 3457
Test date9 March 2012 Expiry date23 March 2013 Test ResultPass Odometer reading11,520 miles MOT test number6580 0936 2092
Test date8 March 2011 Expiry date23 March 2012 Test ResultPass Odometer reading10,757 miles MOT test number9766 2706 1020 Advisory notice item(s)
both front tyres,wearing slightly low on inner edges.
Test date10 March 2010 Expiry date23 March 2011 Test ResultPass Odometer reading9,562 miles MOT test number8237 3956 0076
Test date10 March 2009 Expiry date23 March 2010 Test ResultPass Odometer reading8,931 miles MOT test number1333 9986 9083
Test date5 March 2008 Expiry date23 March 2009 Test ResultPass Odometer reading8,245 miles MOT test number9933 8586 8089
Test date27 February 2007 Expiry date23 March 2008 Test ResultPass Odometer reading7,371 miles MOT test number1633 0895 7439
Test date27 February 2006 Expiry date23 March 2007 Test ResultPass Odometer reading6,378 miles MOT test number7326 4825 6065

Regards,
Richard

Here's a random ad for you all to practice your MOT reading skills on - https://www.gumtree.com/p/ford/2001-ford-puma-1.7-petrol-091109-miles-only-%C2%A3400/1175213836

Here you'll find the MOT history - https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Questions -

#1. Would you buy that car and, if not, why not?

#2. From the photos, is this a private sale or a trade sale?

:)

Hi all for some months i've been experiencing some creaking noises from my front suspension going over speed humps or rough surfaces. The ride seems otherwise normal, but it's annoying.

Puma was at my trusted garage today for a service and MOT today (cue annual MOT anxiety, but it passed!) so I asked them to look at same time. They could not find anything obviously wrong, bushes are ok and no reference in the MOT advisories.

Not sure if this a common issue - does anybody have any ideas to what it might be, or anything I could do as an amateur to help? I've read one possibility could be bushes that are completely dry and might benefit from some moisture/grease (my car lives in the garage and only does about 1.5k miles a year on sunny days) but the garage didn't think so. Any ideas?

Fanwheel said:
[post]363226[/post] Hi all for some months i've been experiencing some creaking noises from my front suspension going over speed humps or rough surfaces. The ride seems otherwise normal, but it's annoying.

Puma was at my trusted garage today for a service and MOT today (cue annual MOT anxiety, but it passed!) so I asked them to look at same time. They could not find anything obviously wrong, bushes are ok and no reference in the MOT advisories.

Not sure if this a common issue - does anybody have any ideas to what it might be, or anything I could do as an amateur to help? I've read one possibility could be bushes that are completely dry and might benefit from some moisture/grease (my car lives in the garage and only does about 1.5k miles a year on sunny days) but the garage didn't think so. Any ideas?

I've just had the exact same issue with mine, noticed it happening after recent hot weather. Thought it was the front bush which has seen better days to be fair but pretty sure it's down to the dryness of everything as the creaking only appears in the heat. Greasing everything is going to be my first step before anything else so I'd advise the same, especially if the Garage didn't pick up on anything else it could be. Tips on what to grease and how would be very useful however as I'm a complete novice and don't want to end up greasing the wrong things!

Thanks Kaylins

Actually you may have something about the dry conditions. My car lives in the garage and so rarely gets wet. I'm thinking perhaps a squirt of some silicone-based lubrication or grease on the bushes in question would help - does anyone on here recommend it and know which areas are best to spray? Presumably the shock absorber upper bush would be the logical place to try first?

Fanwheel said:
[post]364294[/post] Actually you may have something about the dry conditions. My car lives in the garage and so rarely gets wet. I'm thinking perhaps a squirt of some silicone-based lubrication or grease on the bushes in question would help - does anyone on here recommend it
Yep, sounds like a good idea, just don't ever use a hydrocarbon based grease (normal grease) near anything rubber.

Silicon spray anything that moves, suspension and steering-wise, and see how you get on. The stuff is thin, but it's doing its stuff. There is also a silicone grease available, which will also not harm rubber, but I'd start with the spray as it creeps in better.

Back