Mounting an FRP inlet manifold

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modena

I need some help! Today we descided to mount the FRP inlet manifold on my standard (2002) 1.7 Puma. I read here and there that it should be an easy job. Guess what.. NOT.

We installed it... I think everything is right.... but the engine sounds shitty. No gas, a lot of gas automatically, shaky, dying.....

What could be wrong? Oh yeah, one time it started to smoke under the hood... it was coming from the exhaust.

We changed the inlet manifold sensor, throttle body and idle air control valve which were on when I bought it (it was on a 1998 1.7 Puma) for the original parts from my 2002 Puma. Didn't help.

hmmm. strange. you are shure there are no air leaks? and that the injectors are mounted corectly? if you use the sensors and such that vere on the car to begin whit it should work right away. it does sound different than the standard inlet thoug, so don let that fool you, but it should not run bad.

Thoughts

1 vacuum leak - did you use an new manifold gasket?
2 on the frp there was a tps wiring recall as the cable is put under greater pressure, which rewires it further down the loom, I will try and find the tech sheet for it.
3 are you sure you reconnected everything inc inlet air temp sensor

Simon

Blue3 said:
Thoughts

1 vacuum leak - did you use an new manifold gasket?
2 on the frp there was a tps wiring recall as the cable is put under greater pressure, which rewires it further down the loom, I will try and find the tech sheet for it.
3 are you sure you reconnected everything inc inlet air temp sensor

Simon

1. No, we didn't. We use the old one. It worked fine on the old manifold.
3. Yes! 100%

For the sake of a few £ on top of what the FRP manifold cost I would always recommend a new gasket.

+1 for resetting the ECU (disconnect battery for 30 mins) to clear MAF adaptions - it's good practice even if it's unlikely to be the cause in this case.

souljacker87 said:
For the sake of a few £ on top of what the FRP manifold cost I would always recommend a new gasket.

+1 for resetting the ECU (disconnect battery for 30 mins) to clear MAF adaptions - it's good practice even if it's unlikely to be the cause in this case.
sorry a little off topic...what it happens to the ecu when u disconnect the battery for a few hours or so?

I fitted one to mine about 3 months ago and the same thing happened to me , it ran awful and I thought "what have I done? I've ruined it" . ECU reset , drive it round a bit - job done, now runs fine.

Resetting the ECU essentially makes it forget all of the parameters it's learnt.

So when you start the engine, it re-learns all of the values of all of the components eg. MAF, TPS etc.

Guys, I've fitted a new gasket.... and it's alive!! Woohoo! Thanks for the help!

Now, about the sound.
How is it supposed to sound? I now hear a deeper, more mature sound when I drive it.
Espacially when I reach 5000 rpm or more. It then also starts making a kind of whistling/turbo sound on the left (in my case 'driver-') side of the car, from under the hood. Is this normal? Just checking ;)

Ok, another thing, perhaps a bit offtopic, but maybe not.
After we tried fitting the inlet manifold the first time, and it ran bad.... we also detected smoke under the hood, on the back side of the engine (when you're standing infront of the car). It came from under the car, perhaps the exaust?
Today after fitting the inlet and making a testdrive, we detected the smoke again. Smelled like... burning oil or something, not sure. Also not sure if it has anything to do with fitting the inlet (and cleaning a thing or two with breaking-cleaner). Trying to upload a video to show it, but cant seem to upload from my phone.

Any ideas?

My guess is you disturbed the rocker box slightly when fitting the manifold and they are prone to leaking so I guess son oil has run down the back onto the ex manifold

Yeah, as Simon said, why thoughts exactly. Worst case is the head gasket has failed but you'll really know when that happens. I think more likely its some residual oil being burnt off.

Guess I forget to answer this tread! It was indeed the manifold gasket :roll: I bought a new one, fitted it and my worries where gone :grin: thanks for the ideas!

What are the differances between the 1.7 and FRP inlet manifolds? Is it just plenum that's larger or are there any other differances?

Back