Mounting depth in rear speaker bins

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russv

Anyone know what the mounting depth for the rear speaker bins is, but not the factory speaker hole, the large bottom part of the box. I want to put an 8 inch sub in them but don't want to get the wrong ones!

If anyone has subs in there but don't remember the mounting depth, the speaker make and model will be enough, I'll look the mounting depth of them up.

Thanks in advance :grin:

what are your plans for the rest of the box?..

personally i'd leave it as designed and just maximise it's potential (which is incredible!)

the rear quarter trim will just rattle and resonate like the clappers with a sub behind it, they're just not designed to take those sort of frequencies...it's hard enough to get them quiet and noise free when doing the 6x9 mod...

Rgds

Chris

I was going to seal the hole for the top speaker and do extensive sound deadening on the quarter trim. Also I've got some pretty cool stuff I used on my last car which you put round the edges of the trim and it compresses in and fills all the gaps, so it doesn't rattle against the chassis. Just want the boot free but still have some low frequencies.

If you dynamat the inside of the bin and then add some closed foam (thinish layer) behind the speaker you can actually get all the bass you need... it does need sealing up properly with a good sealant tho...and also dynamat round the hole location...

if you use a cracking 6x9 like Boston acoustics or the JL C2.. the sound is truely awesome!.. ideally powered by an equally good amp tho!!.. good 4 channel amps seem to be around £300 and upwards... the cheaper ones just aren't worth installing in my opinion, you gain volume but not quality...

Rgds

Aye cheers mate, I hear what you're saying :) I just don't really like directional sounds in the rear, thats the thing, so I think its better to put the money where I want it if you know what I mean.
2x 8s should be about the same performance as an 11" sub in terms of surface area, thats the level I'm aiming for. I don't think any 6x9s will be the same, afaik they're just not designed for it, unless I low pass them, but like I said whats the point in taking 10% of their capability when I can have 100% of a subs' capability.

I agree with you about quality though!

Btw I'm not saying your way is wrong and my way is better or anything, its just what I personally prefer :)

Yep.. i know what you mean..car audio purists tend to go the sub route..

Personally, i love a sub in my Home cinema setup :grin: but never felt the need for it with stereo audio tracks...

I always turn my sub off at home when listening through my cinema amp...don't like it at all..

:grin:

Kind of depends what music I'm listening to really, and what mood I'm in :) I rarely turn subs off though, usually just turn them down if I'm not in the mood for some bass! Depends what kind of bass it is too, I don't really like bass if you can tell its coming from the sub, I like it when it sounds like its coming from the same place as the mids.

Back