MPG again!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, that is a very kind offer, Thank You Very Much. Where are you located, I may take you up on that one day! To be honest there is not too much that will phase me, I'm an Aircraft Engineer by trade but what I lack is the tooling at home to get stuff done on cars. If they were made out of wood I'd be fine, my garage is all kitted out for that. Before anyone says it, no I don't work on wooden aircraft!!

Just been searching Fleabay and found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221069049825#ht_500wt_1202

Looks lie a bit of a bargain if anyone was to have a go at a 6 speeder.

Back to the MPG thread, I've posted before, that I've changed from super market fuel to branded (usualy BP, because its handy for one of my clients!), and I've seen a significant improvement in MPG. I was getting just over 200 to the tank on North Derbyshire lanes (no A roads!) and Sheffield suburban roads. The fuel change has moved this up to over 230 to the tank, and sometimes more. The cost is slightly higher, but only a penny or so per litre.

Have to agree with plastic sniffer, I only run my cars and van on bp, the ultimate diesel is even better! In the van with ultimate in it I'll see about 430 miles to a tank (405-410 standard bp), against 390 for asda, 395 tesco and sainsburys and shell was the worst at 385 to the tank. I find it ends up working out to be te price of about an extra 2 litres of fuel between the bp and the rest of the crap but I'd rather pay it and not have to fill up as much and get a better running engine. In the FRP with bp ultimate I get about 220 per tank and shell I got 198.7 I don't put anything else in it unless I won't get home from where I am

Got to admit I never thought that different fuels could give such different results. Could it also be down to the calibration of the pumps though. I've heard of people filling up at morrisons and getting much more in the tank than the tank should take, bearing in mind that the tank would not have been empty at that time.
I think I'll give it a go and try different fuels just to see the difference. I do over 200 miles a week in the puma do it shouldn't take too long.

Possible about the calibration, though you can feel the difference between the fuels with regard to how well the engine pulls up hills and when you hit the loud pedal. The results I got were set on the same route and as close as I could get to exactly the same driving, as fast as possible, hilly areas, dual carriage ways and the very rare trip down 1 b road for both the car and the van

Back