Mud flap problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Arch Bishop

I fitted a pair of rear mudflaps on at the weekend and while they weren't a perfect fit to the contours of the rear bumper, they were pretty good. However, I noticed the next day that one of the screws had pulled through the rubber and that the whole thing had sort of slipped down. I've refitted a screw with a larger head but the flap still sits low like this;

mud-flap-issue.jpg

Can anyone let me know any tips for getting them to fit properly? The Ford instructions may as well be of a stick man walking a stick dog for all the use they are...

Oh, and there seems to be a screw hole on the top of the flap that doesn't have anything to attach to on the car.

As always, any help would be gratefully received!

Two points spring to mind

1) did you use the metal clip that slips over the lip of the bumper and into which the screw screws?
if you did is it a new one or a worn old one?

2) I have heard it said that putting the mudflap in hot water prior to fitting helps it shape itself around the car better

I used the three metal clips that were used originally for the little spats which all worked ok. The other side worked fine (after the right application of swear words)!

The hole in the top flap is for the bumper securing screw to go through that's why its sitting like that

Ah ok, well I've going to have to remove the rear suspemsion soon so I'll give it a second go when the wheel's off. Was a pain with it still on! Have to admit I couldn't find a bumper screw when I was scratching my head but then I couldn't see much at all.

Thanks for the help as ever!

Back