My first service, a few problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.o.f

Hi all, I attempted my first ever service to my 1.7 puma today and it didnt go that well! The air and pollen filters were easy enough, the fuel filter was completely rusted on and took about 30 mins to get out with the help of a flat screwdriver and plenty of wd40. My problems came when I tried the oil change. I couldnt get the sump plug off no matter how hard I tried! The nut has actually started to round off now after trying with a 1/2 inch spanner and 6 point socket so I have given up and decided to take it to the garage and ask them to loosen the nut for me. The second problem was when I changed the spark plugs I noticed oil pooling around them, is this the rocker cover gasket that needs changing? Is it an easy fix?
Cheers

If the plugs sit down inside a tube, and the oil is on top of the plug (above the threads), then it is the spark plug tube seals. Just replace the valve cover gasket. If the oil is on the bottom part of the plug, the threads and where the spark is made, then you are getting oil inside the combustion chamber which is a very bad thing. Likely causes are work rings or a blown head gasket.

As for the sump plug i had the same problem make sure you use a ring spanner, i had to belt a smaller cheap socket on and got it in the end but i dont recommend this as you could crack the sump.

Get some mole grips on the sump plug, then buy a new replacement one from ford. I believe it is possible that the gasket could leak onto the plugs if the seal has gone on that side.

molegrips will probably chew it up even more, if i was you id get a set of those irwin bolt removers off ebay, cost you about a tenner but they have saved my life on many occasions well worth it

yippeekiay said:
I would'nt bother with either. Don't spend anything and use a hammer and chisel to tap/belt/piledrive it round. Got me out of a few spot on many occasions and cost bugger all!!

And I thought my method was a bit bodge, you crazy mofo! lol :p

s.o.f said:
Hi all, I attempted my first ever service to my 1.7 puma today and it didnt go that well! The air and pollen filters were easy enough, the fuel filter was completely rusted on and took about 30 mins to get out with the help of a flat screwdriver and plenty of wd40. My problems came when I tried the oil change. I couldnt get the sump plug off no matter how hard I tried! The nut has actually started to round off now after trying with a 1/2 inch spanner and 6 point socket so I have given up and decided to take it to the garage and ask them to loosen the nut for me. The second problem was when I changed the spark plugs I noticed oil pooling around them, is this the rocker cover gasket that needs changing? Is it an easy fix?
Cheers

Try doing it with the engine 'hot' and mole grips or hammering round with a chisel etc as Yip suggests. I have used both methods in the past and has never failed; as said costs bugger all! just be careful of the sump when hammers / chisels etc are involved!

Latest posts

Back