My Knob

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj2013

So I had nothing to do this Sunday evening, and, having felt the urge to, I asked my girlfriend if she'd like to help me sort my knob out.

She declined, and said she had no interest in it.

I was obviously quite hurt, but still wanted to do something with my knob. It was looking all scratched and crusty and needed some attention.

So, with my girlfriend engrossed in her book on the sofa, I set out and started rubbing it. At first I thought it was going to end badly, but after a while I started to see some improvements. Before long, it felt like it was time to break out some sort of lubricant to help with the rubbing.

After a good hour or aggressively rubbing away next to the girlfriend, I reached a point where I felt that I could say it was finished.

I proudly displayed my finished knob to her, but she still didn't care.

Here it is:

IMG_20131027_223615_945_zps36e64be8.jpg

Question: Should I add some colour to the gear indicators/track?

(apologies for the innuendo if a) you were offended, or b) if you were disappointed it was a gear knob)

Yep to some colour but I think you should get some more polishing done they can come up like chrome.

You know you want to

I have a spare knob for sale if you cock it up :-D

I'm surprised Rob isn't here. Any mention of a knob and it's like Christmas come early for him

:-D

quest63 said:
Yep to some colour but I think you should get some more polishing done they can come up like chrome.

You know you want to

I have a spare knob for sale if you cock it up :-D

I probably will do, just having a bit of chill time between efforts (im a perfectionist so probably wont stop until it's perfect :/ )

You always think you're done rubbing your knob up and then give it a while and you're ready to do it again a bit better than the last.

cj2013 said:
(apologies for the innuendo if a) you were offended, or b) if you were disappointed it was a gear knob)
No need to apologise, we're quite used to people getting their knobs out on here - never gets old!

Rubbed down and wetsanded again several times and it came up like a mirror.

Went for a combination of colours and careful softly softly catchy monkey....

IMG_20131028_012300_652_zps5215a41e.jpg

Looks a bit better IRL. Camera's dont do reflective very well

Even more impressive to think that this particular nob is at least 12 years old.

Too far? :pinkeye:

cj2013 said:
Even more impressive to think that this particular nob is at least 12 years old.

Too far? :pinkeye:

Careful who you tell you have been buffing 12 year old knobs :-D

Apparently a good knob is a redeeming feature, don't know how my mrs knows though - she doesn't have a car?..... :| :pinkeye:

What paint did you use? I'm sure I've got some acrylic floating about somewhere...but would that peel or flake off?

Got my housemate to do the same to my knob (easy now).

He used an oil based paint and got the same effect ,also modelling paint (40k or something similar)

Back