My ProjectPuma master plan...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not harsh at all, truthful though. It's just a ridiculous way to weigh a car, I only signed up to post in here. It was posted on another forum as someone else found it utterly ridiculous that someone is weighing their car with Asda's finest bathroom scales.

fatdonger said:
Good luck on your final year , did you do any work placement experience?

Guessing you are either near birmingham or manchester or london ....... Lol ok there are only 3 mclaren dealerships in uk :lol:

(personally I think they spelt the company name wrong should have been maclaren )
Thanks! As hard as it is to stomach - I'm not actually due to graduate until 2013. I had to defer and repeat 3rd year following a difficult break-up with my partner of 4 years back in January. Sucked balls at the time but I'm better off for it now. My degree was already a year longer as I did do a placement year. I hoped on getting my driving license in time to get a place at Vauxhall's VXR R&D centre at Millbrook. They couldn't allow me to apply without already having a license so I ended up in the body shop of the Luton plant where they build the Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar. At the time there was minimal support from John Moores so I was one of the only engineering students (a group of 120-ish) to get a placement. I think it worked out as the equivelent of over 200 applicants for the single position I got. Was an excellent experience both for my studies and for life - what with it being the first time living away from home! I'm actually based in Crosby near Liverpool but the McLaren dealer was in Knutsford near Manchester. LOL - I'm sure my little sister had a Maclaren buggy as a baby/toddler. I probably pushed her around pretending it was a McLaren though! :lol:

yippeekiay said:
An ingenious way of weighing the car....lol.

Not sure how accurate it is as I'd be sceptical of cheap scales. If you want an overall weight just pop to a scrap merchants or the like and ask nicely if they'll let you use their weighbridge. Most wouldn't mind if they're not busy at the time.

Loving the write up by the way :eek:k:
Ha ha. My main worry was not the inaccuracy of the scales but actually over-loading and damaging them when getting the car onto them. Damaging the scales would definitely ruin their accuracy and is why my original plan (of driving onto the short planks then onto the planks bridging the scales) was abandoned. It was still tricky with only one 'good' jack. There are public weigh bridges and scrap merchants local to me that I can visit (maybe I will just to compare). However, as I mentioned earlier; this does not give the distribution of the weight within the car. In addition to removing unnecessary weight from the car, it is also beneficial to optimise the weight distribution to as-close-to the ideal of 50FR/50RR and 50LH/50RH as possible. Obviously this has to be backed up by correctly set up suspension and tyres.

Dave the Jew said:
Wow, are you serious? you spent all that money on buying bathroom scales and pieces of wood. Seriously? that is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in my life, how can you be so stupid?

Why not take it to a weigh bridge for an accurate reading? you wont get an accurate reading using bathroom scales ffs. It scares me that there are people as daft as you behind the wheel.
Wow, were you born yesterday? You clearly haven't had a very eventful life. You should probably ask my lecturers why I'm so stupid. Better still, you could come and lecture me and my friends. You might teach us a thing or two. :roll:

For a price of £3.81 per scale did you think I was expecting professional race team accuracy? I did the best I could by weighing myself on a known 'good' set of scales with no visible variation to start with. I then immediately weighed myself three times on each of the 10 sets of scales - numbering them and noting variation. Whilst they varied by ~0.5kg to ~1.0kg in the worst cases - this isn't a significant error on a 70kg weight at this price point. Whilst the average reading of the ASDA scales was actually ~1kg lower than that measured on the 'good' scales this is also not an issue. This is simply a difference in calibration. I am not bothered about supreme accuracy in the actual total weight of the car - I just wanted to be able to keep a reasonably accurate record of what changes I end up making and how I can expect them to affect the car.

It scares me far more that there are people who don't stop, read what was already written; and then think. Instead they rush into saying something stupid and offensive (resorting to foul language - no matter how it is abbreviated). You only signed up to tell me how stupid I am? Thanks :thumbs: ...you have my pity. Redeem yourself somewhat by explaining this to 'other forum' and you will see how it feels to teach something. You might enjoy it.

crystalpuma said:
It's just a shame some people only see the negative.
Isn't it just? People need to just chill out. It's nice to be a calm person. :)

Bravo!
To put it bluntly the guy is a cock.
Firstly coming here to slate you on what quite frankly is none of his business; clearly has nothing better to do with himself.
Secondly hasn't got anything good to say and therefore is an ignorant, nasty, piece of shit, who isn't welcome here. If it isn't constructive then hold your tongue!

I apologise for my language by the way, trolls just get me mad. :evil:

Lots of anger in here lol. I can see both sides of it. Unfortunately there isn't really a nice way of saying that what is planned won't happen on a 999 budget, but I'm sorry it won't. That's not being harsh that's being realistic and also coming from someone who has done everything themselves so have done everything as cheaply as could have done, eg no labour costs.

The guy is obviously still learning and needs some direction but doesn't really open himself up for ideas by asking those that have been there and done that what is affordable, what's not and best way to.go about it. Rather just launches into I'm doing this and that on this budget then I'm going to win this and that by then. Sorry not happening. I'm willing to give any amount of.my time answering genuine questions from people willing to learn if I have the knowledge and experience myself, but at the moment this thread isn't really encouraging that type of response from me.

Nothing wrong with ambition. Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land amongst the stars.

I have to disagree, i think if you are not going for the best stuff, and are prapared to trawl through scrapyards for bits trawl through ebay, and adapt bits to suit your car that perhaps werent meant to be on your car, then it can be done. Granted, it wont be easy, and its a long shot, but i think its do-able.

And i quite like the scales idea, not 100% accurate, but it will be in the right ball park. At least he can work out weight distribution, and work out what difference the different mods make! He's spend just over £30 on scales that should last him a very long time!!

I love the fact that you are thinking outside the box, good work man! :thumbs:

have to say that is the strangest way I have ever seen anybody weigh a car, top marks for ingenuity! I like the idea of this thread, buying bits for bargain prices!

I must say Im still pretty skeptical about the outcome, but I would love for you to prove me wrong! its either going to be a massive pass or an epic fail :eek:k:

ScubaSteve said:
Lots of anger in here lol. I can see both sides of it. Unfortunately there isn't really a nice way of saying that what is planned won't happen on a 999 budget, but I'm sorry it won't. That's not being harsh that's being realistic and also coming from someone who has done everything themselves so have done everything as cheaply as could have done, eg no labour costs.

The guy is obviously still learning and needs some direction but doesn't really open himself up for ideas by asking those that have been there and done that what is affordable, what's not and best way to.go about it. Rather just launches into I'm doing this and that on this budget then I'm going to win this and that by then. Sorry not happening. I'm willing to give any amount of.my time answering genuine questions from people willing to learn if I have the knowledge and experience myself, but at the moment this thread isn't really encouraging that type of response from me.
I certainly didn't want to fuel any anger, and I think i may have got a bit carried away with getting called stupid for what I had done - so sorry everybody. I should also have explained that the £999 budget excludes some things. Consumables such as ordinary service items for the car (when I service it in April for instance) and bolts, grease and other consumables are excluded. This, combined with my best efforts at eBay watching and making my own parts (strut braces & suspension bushes maybe?) using materials at cost in uni; should all help.

I know I'm being very ambitious but if I'm not then I know I'll never bother to get it half way to what I want it to be. I will most certainly need some help along the way so don't worry - they'll be plenty of genuine questions - especially to those, like yourself; who have put the effort in to do everything themselves. This is part of the reason I signed up here.

Gaverick said:
Nothing wrong with ambition. Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land amongst the stars.
That's kind of what I expect/hope to happen. Thanks again for the help with the throttle bodies. You'll see how I got on below...

PumaNoob said:
I have to disagree, i think if you are not going for the best stuff, and are prapared to trawl through scrapyards for bits trawl through ebay, and adapt bits to suit your car that perhaps werent meant to be on your car, then it can be done. Granted, it wont be easy, and its a long shot, but i think its do-able.

And i quite like the scales idea, not 100% accurate, but it will be in the right ball park. At least he can work out weight distribution, and work out what difference the different mods make! He's spend just over £30 on scales that should last him a very long time!!

I love the fact that you are thinking outside the box, good work man! :thumbs:
That's what I am expecting to have to do to make this happen. I'll even be happy if the scales just last me the time it takes me to finish the Puma. Thinking about keeping weight down and balanced - your turbocharged 1.7 (along with Toby's on YouTube) was so good you have me thinking twice about swapping to a 2.0L in the future :thumbs: . I'll worry about that closer to the time though.

slayllian said:
have to say that is the strangest way I have ever seen anybody way a car, but top marks for ingenuity! I like the idea of this thread, buying bits for bargain prices!

I must say Im still pretty skeptical about the outcome, but I would love for you to prove me wrong! its either going to be a massive pass or an epic fail :eek:k:
I'll do my best :wink:.

Stage 1 (Nov '11 - Apr '12)

(a) - Move Puma to brother's house and declare off-road instead of renewing insurance (done)
OK. So, as seems to be the norm for me - I am updating this thread late at night when I should be asleep. I already knew when I bought the Puma that my insurance would be high (Liverpool is not the best of areas to live for this - even the nicer areas!). I didn't however think that I would want to modify it to the extent that I do. Due to lack of funds and wanting to compete in it next year I made the decision to take it off the road for the winter. After all - who wants to be paying for insurance when you never know how long the jobs you have planned will stop you from using the car for? Getting the renewal letter from my insurers was the final straw...

That fateful letter that I was disappointed with. Yes - that is £1513.42 and not even fully comp - with 3 years NCB:
296433_10150915366545181_523825180_21648182_1857542166_n.jpg

My friend manages a bike shop and gave me a 'cellar special' - needs some lights but good for 65.5mpg on tap water:
310990_10150915366830181_523825180_21648183_117364014_n.jpg

Gathered the necessary forms from the local Post Office. Now where's that tax disc...
376003_10150915367395181_523825180_21648186_530991772_n.jpg

...Looks like I'll only be getting one month refunded. Still about £18 and no more VW logo for me:
300795_10150915367720181_523825180_21648187_1462861461_n.jpg

Thankfully the Puma will only be 0.7 miles away at my brother's house. Easy to go and work on it:
375459_10150915373910181_523825180_21648201_160728878_n.jpg

Before I moved it I thought I'd test out one little thing - hence the messy work environment:
308561_10150915368215181_523825180_21648189_96805366_n.jpg

So what was it I was trying out?

(e) - Improve power of the standard engine through ITBs, aftermarket ECU and exhaust (started)
With time running out before my insurance was due to run out, and after reading Gary and Phil's project here http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=9460;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I was itching to fit some individual throttle bodies. They sounded so good and a few of us were wondering what difference they made to the performance of an otherwise standard Puma.

I received some speedy responses and managed to get everything I needed together pretty sharpish. I had a big deadline in uni Last Friday, a day out (final drive :-( ) in the Puma all of Saturday and a day-long Snowboard lesson booked with friends in Manchester Sunday. This left me just Sunday night and Monday morning to get it swapped and tested. In order for fuel level and weather condition to least-effect the comparison I took the Puma for one last 'standard' test drive. On a private test track I timed a quarter mile run using my laptop and camera stuck to the steering wheel. I carried on past an indicated 100mph just out of curiosity. The video is sideways as that's the only way I got the camera to fit with the time I had so sorry:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150914762815181

I'm not sure why the speedo jumped so much a couple of times as the ground was dry. The ProScan software told me I ran a 16.111s @ 84.224mph (my best yet) whilst times I calculated using the speedo and video frame count were:

0-10mph: 0.3s
0-20mph: 2.1s
0-30mph: 3.6s
0-40mph: 4.2s
0-50mph: 5.5s
0-60mph: 7.3s
0-70mph: 9.7s
0-80mph: 12.3s
0-90mph: 16.2s
0-100mph: 21.0s

I know these are inaccurate due to the speedo jumping, possibly being incorrectly calibrated and it being based on my interpretation of when the needle reaches points in a dark video. I just thought you might be interested anyway.

Step 1. Butcher a Puma inlet manifold (preferably not with just a 6" hack saw :| ) so it's short:
387795_10150914741195181_523825180_21645158_1611819533_n.jpg

Step 2. Separate GSXR1000 K1/2 throttle bodies, remove the secondary valves and fill holes:
381332_10150914741480181_523825180_21645161_88618120_n.jpg

Step 3. Space the throttle bodies and fit to the short inlet manifold along with all other parts:
312790_10150914742035181_523825180_21645168_1267124486_n.jpg

Step 4. Remove the standard intake system (alternator has to move to swap manifolds):
378034_10150914742430181_523825180_21645177_1952649249_n.jpg

Step 5. Fit what you assembled in Step 3. and realise it's nearly 3am so leave it for the night! :eek::
376105_10150914742760181_523825180_21645181_1756606182_n.jpg

Step 6. Wire in TPS and bodge the throttle cable. Also remove filters as bonnet won't shut :oops:
300613_10150914743105181_523825180_21645185_522933437_n.jpg

They were the steps I took whilst severely sleep-deprived. That's probably why it seemed to take forever - making adjustment after adjustment (due to the tight clearances and clumsily large hose clips for example) whilst trying not to disturb the neighbours. Later on I weighed what I had taken out of the car - 10.6kg (this includes the bonnet lining as I was that desperate for space). I had weighed the ITB set-up and it totalled 3.1kg so a healthy saving of 7.5kg just from the intake system!

On my first start up I killed the ignition as it revved up to over 4k rpm. After adjusting the idle screw on the throttle cable linkage I started it again in a hope to warm up the engine before revving it or driving anywhere. I was warned it would run lumpy but for the first few minutes it was especially bad. I couldn't get it to idle steadily and there were occasional back-fires into the throttle bodies!

After a while of letting it idle and warm up, whilst wondering if I'll ever be able to get it running smooth on MegaSquirt; I called my little brother outside to see what I'd done and grabbed my camera.

Here is what I showed him when he came outside:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150914787220181

The best bit is at about 2 minutes in - I only rev it properly once though because I'm a considerate neighbour :lol:

I then foolishly left him with the only memory card and that camera just to film me simply trying to drive down the road normally for the first time:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150914826230181

As you can hear it was not easy to drive and I stalled it once out of site then again at the end of the video braking for the junction - I think the brake servo vacuum set-up needs revising as well as new engine management. I say it was foolish to leave him with my camera because I was on my way to that same private test track.

My God it sounded good when you opened it up!!! :grin: It was spine-tinglingly good and that was with a full interior and the windows up! I wish I had it on camera to share with you all but I was out of time and I had to head back to put the Puma off the road for the winter. I did however have my laptop hooked up again. Not very relevant as it was now warmer than the night before and I got a bad start (seemed to wheel-spin a lot more so gave false times) but it ran a 16.270s @ 83.090mph. To me it definitely felt to be pulling better once I had got past the wheelspin but that could have just been the psychological effects of hearing my new favourite 'music'.

I can't wait until it is fully mapped to make proper use of these and a straight through exhaust - keeping it MOT worthy may take some juggling around with dates of these modifications. I'll keep you all posted whatever happens...

I can`t believe some of the negative comments on this thread, it does n`t matter if you achieve what your aiming for it`s much more important that you`re going for it and I say good luck to you and will be following this thread with interest

:thumbs:

^ agreed, some major ambition, like saying im going to climb mount Everest in flip flops, but that doesn't mean that you cant do it, even if you come close it will still be epic! im following with interest :eek:k:

how much for that engine management and throttle bodies etc? you must be nearing your 999 limit already and not even touched on brakes, wheels, suspension, cage etc etc etc

Nice work so far. Obviously everyone is not going to agree on some unorthadox methods, but lets please keep things friendly ;)

yippeekiay said:
Ebay is a marvellous thing Steve - you should look on there now and again instead of paying top dollar ;)

my nearing remark was based on ebay prices if i wasnt referring to ebay prices i would have said, "surely you have spent nearly double your 999 limit so far"

Latest posts

Back