New battery fitted now engine cuts out in low revs or idle

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixfc7

Hi,

I had a new battery fitted a few weeks ago and since then the car has cut out when I apply the clutch to go into neutral when stopping or changing gear when slowing down. The first couple of corners it does correct itself and kicks in with increased revs just before it cuts out, after 3 corners this stops and it simple dies! I was told that the memory on the computer would take time to kick back in but over 300 miles later and a mixture of short and long journeys it hasnt made any difference.

I took it to the garage and they are saying its the idle control valves, what I cannot accept is that everything was fine before the battery was fitted and I dont think its a coincidence. They are quoting £160+vat!!

Any ideas, I am willing to have a go myself!
Oh its a 1997 1.7
Thanks in advnace

check the cables to MAF sensor and cables to trottle possition sensor.. they are both around battery,maybee you pulled some of them when replacing the battery..

Hi,

Thank you for being so quick, will check them this evening and let you know, the guy who replaced the battery (was stuck in a car park at the time) did struggle to get the old one out particularly getting a group of cables over one of the corners.

Thanks

It's gone in the garage today to be diagnosed, will let you know the outcome for future reference!

Back