New engine :(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveyca55

My puma engine is days away from death and its mot is due in next couple of weeks. Am finding it hard to find a 1.4 engine that came from a puma so do the 1.4/1.25 engines from fiestas fit? is the wiring loom the same? Am told the looms from analogue clock engines and digital clock ones are different. I can get the fiesta engines very easily and cheaply and would make my life sooo much easier!
Cheers muchly :eek:k:

hi there yes u can use engine out of a mk4 ford fiesta same 1.4cc engine if ur worried about the loom etc just use all ancillerys from ur original engine :thumbs:

Ahh brilliant. Ye was gonna use all bits off the old engine as they all still work its just the bores and rings that have finally given up after nearly 190k lol.
Do u know if the 1.25 would fit? Sounds daft but i can get one of these engines half the price of the 1.4 engine as theyre a lot more common.

well u can put pretty much put what ever engine in u want but will be time and effort and money but not really sure if the 1.25 will go straight in 1.4 is the easiest route just a direct replacement why would u wonna go down to a 1.25 tho just cost of engine u know 1.4 insurance is cheaper than havin 1.25 for some reason dont ask me why tho lol hope this helps ...

I have a lot of choice of insurance salvage and I don't mind getting something to order if you need something specific.

Let me know mileage and budget and I'll see what is going through.

Ian G said:
I have a lot of choice of insurance salvage and I don't mind getting something to order if you need something specific.

Let me know mileage and budget and I'll see what is going through.
Thanks mate, will let you know as i may have found a scrap 1.4 fiesta near me which has only got 40k on the clock. Would u be able to pallet stuff out to me if needed as im about 4 hours away from you?

superpumaz said:
well u can put pretty much put what ever engine in u want but will be time and effort and money but not really sure if the 1.25 will go straight in 1.4 is the easiest route just a direct replacement why would u wonna go down to a 1.25 tho just cost of engine u know 1.4 insurance is cheaper than havin 1.25 for some reason dont ask me why tho lol hope this helps ...
The 1.25 has near enough the same power as the 1.4 and theyre much more common than the 1.4. Am gettin short on time atm and am considering alternatives to the 1.4 if i cant get one in time. Engine replacement is a sunday worth of work on me driveway so thats not much of a problem. Just hoping i can sort summin as ive only had this car since april and dont really want to send of to become lots of heinz cans just yet :(

Yes you can use the 1.25 from a fiesta in your 1.4 puma, I too had this dilema and asked if it is possible to be told need loom and ecu..... I thought what have i to loose fit the 1.25 and see what happens, and bobs your uncle it run sweet as a nut on the same loom and ecu, only problem i did have iirc was a small amout of modification to part of the engine bay loom just where the was a slight difference but using bits from my 2 engines it was all sorted out within a matter of minuites, I too went for a 1.25 as they are much more readilly available and got one for £100, £200 cheaper then the 1.4, was a quick fix and sell project and it saved me £200 plus

hope this helps

Brilliant! Thanks for that, time to go engine shopping :)
Out of interest, which bit of the loom did you have to modify?

only one of the mini loom sections, on the top of the engine, iirc wires to fuel rail etc, the whole bit is easyily removed and mix and matched, But i only had to do that im sure because it was an early mk4 p reg and i had a later engine ford must have changed the layout slightly hope this helps

Yes massively mate. Thanks everyone for the help, should hopefully stop the puma from becomin several washing machines for few more years :D

Daveyca55 said:
Would u be able to pallet stuff out to me if needed as im about 4 hours away from you?

Yes most of my stuff goes out by pallet, its safer than carrying an engine in your boot and you don't damage your car doing it.

Ian G said:
Daveyca55 said:
Would u be able to pallet stuff out to me if needed as im about 4 hours away from you?

Yes most of my stuff goes out by pallet, its safer than carrying an engine in your boot and you don't damage your car doing it.
Cheers mate will pm u with a list of bits when i got some money :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back