New Puma project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a totally crap,day with the Puma yesterday.

The guy who was going to look at my oil return didn't turn up.

Tried to get the rear beam off but the nut on the bolt jammed. Tried to do it back up but it's stuck solid. Can't get a hacksaw in there to cut the bolt and I've got no electricity at the garage to use a grinder.
I could undo the actual mounting brackets but am slightly weary of doing this in case I can't get it correctly lined back up again.
Only managed to get the 20mm spacers and the coilovers fitted on the back.

Wanted to put the coilovers on the front but the nut holing the drop link on to the strut has rounded off. The Allen key hole in the middle has started to round too, so that idea got knocked on the head. Again, no electricity to grind/cut the bolt off.

As the Puma stands now I need to get the loose beam bolt out and I'm going to have to grind/cut the nut off the drop link.
The metal end on the drivers side rear flexi brake pipe has almost rusted away leaving provision for the rubber pipe to come out of the end.
The metalwork under the arch on the same side has rotten through so the bracket that holds the joint between the metal and flexi lines is loose and has almost come away.

Looks like my next shopping list is going to be:
Subframe
Drop links
Rear flexi brake pipes
Rear ABS loom
Welding
Welding
Loads more welding

It must have been one of those days... I also didn't do anything planned, but caught a cold instead.... Today is a new day, after a good sleep and with sunshine you will feel better and will do what you set out to do!
It is like a waltz: one step back, then two forward... :wink:

Sound like you got some rust issues there mate.
I`ve found that WD40 is no good on such fasteners and now use Plusgas.
No good on your hinges but amazing at dissolving rust on threads,,,

One step forward and two back more like!!

I soaked the bolts with silicone lubricant. I did this to the wishbone bolts and the nuts came off really easily, but looks like the beam bolts had other ideas!
All the nuts and bolts can be sorted with a grinder, when I can get the car somewhere where I can work on it and have an electrical supply.

As for the rust on the car, I'm taking it over to a friends at the end of the month so it should all get sorted out then along with the rear brake lines and an MOT to follow.

Small update...

I've now got another set of wheels sorted out and finally got the 3 crap 17s and the spare off the car. :thumbs:

cbd547b43bb6b43e1e884574f9896972_zps305ab44e.jpg

785f30f23f0f8193962c173d481cda84_zpse295add3.jpg

I had these wheels a few years ago but promptly sold them on as I totally hated them.
Now I've got them back and I actually quite like them.
I'll be on the look out for another to strap in the boot as a spare.

The puma will be going off to a friends at the end of the week for:
Welding a hole in the floor and sort out damage in other areas of the floor where someone jacked it up in the wrong place
Welding in rear arch
Replace rear brake lines - copper and flexi
MOT

Before I leave it there we should be sorting out the knackered bolts so we can:
Change beam bushes to poly
Replace drop links
Put coilovers on the front
Hopefully fit the adjustable top mounts on the front

After that, depending on when the replacement arrives from IanG, the subframe will be replaced and I'll get the ARB bushes changed to poly at the same time.

It seems that there's always something that stops me from getting this turbo fitted but hopefully once the above work is done I can finally get the conversion done.
I've only got two pay days to get any additional bits I need before FITP, so I better get it sorted!

A lot of you may agree that the Pumas front sidelights are pretty rubbish.

I've tried a few different bulbs and LEDs but nothing has ever really made the mark.

How about this for bright.... and I've only connected them to a 9v battery.

ee8f8989e3d3c08b93d244e000e4061a_zpsi008aorp.jpg

Bit of a crap picture unfortunately but will get a better picture when I've got them properly installed in the car.

These look excellent. I've been toying with LED sidelights, but not sure if they are an MOT grey area or not though? What did you use or are they another of your creations?

Not one of my creations this time. Ebay special!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-9W-CO...E-LIGHT-XENON-WHITE-WATERPROOF-/131468412083?

I paid £7.99 all in.

I was hoping they would be small enough to mount in the existing hole where the clear 'lense' is but they are too big.
Instead, I removed the original bulb holder and bolted them in through those holes so they shine through the clear lense.

They will be a lot brighter than I've shown. I'm considering using them as DRLs but have them dim when the headlights turn on....

The Arch Bishop said:
I've been toying with LED sidelights, but not sure if they are an MOT grey area or not though?

As far as i can tell it's the colour of the light not the bulb type that is an MOT fail, so if it's white light instead of the common bluey light then it'll be ok, unless the tester is a bellend. And a lot of cars now have LEDs as standard, so they can't expect everyone to change their lights when the car gets to three years old.

P.S. I use ones very similar to this, although they are unbranded and i got them from another car so have no idea of make/price/quality. All i'll say is they still work now, are ridiculously bright (better than standard 55w headlamps in the Puma) and fit directly into the standard hole, and sit right behind the lens so you get a full white circle instead of being able to see the bulb behind the lens.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-CREE-W5W-T10-501-LED-wedge-car-bulbs-SIDE-DIPPED-LIGHT-INTERIOR-WHITE-6000K-/371171258098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566b87eef2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had a busy 2 days.

We got the subframe replaced, front coilovers fitted, new drop links and the ARB is also poly bushed.

The rear beam was removed, bushes pressed out and new poly bushes put in....

4b94b3f119be48009019153f03dbc925_zps7srdtqg2.jpg

All standard stuff really.

The Puma has been left behind to sort out a hole in the floor and this...

9c85a64396db6f1a37f493e7e3f2f1cd_zpsmnt6grtk.jpg

Hopefully will be MOT time after that.

Well, I'm rather p**sed off to announce the Puma is going to the scrappy in a few weeks.

Both myself and another member checked it over before I bought it and all was solid.
I've left it over there for new rear brake lines and to have the rear inner arch and floor patched up, just to get news today that the rust is worse than originally found.

I've decided to strip off some parts to sell on and keep a few select parts. The parts I bought for the turbo conversion will also be up for sale.

I will be looking for another car in the future as another project but unfortunately it wont be another Puma. I'm a little tired of chasing rust that grows quicker than it can be repaired. I know to expect rust with these cars but I need to draw a line somewhere.

I will be chucking up some 'For Sale' ads in the corresponding section soon, but as a heads up the parts up for grabs will be:
* AP Coilovers
* Lower front strut brace in Anthracite
* Upper front strut brace in Anthracite
* ST150 front brake calipers
* Saab 95/9000 turbo charger, oil line and oil pressure sensor adapter
* Manifold to fit the above turbo
* Universal intercooler, 2.5" piping (some already cut) and silicone joiners
* Blow off valve (atmospheric)
* Innovate AFR gauge and sensor (been used for less than 200mls)
* Fuel pressure regulator
* Rising rate fuel pressure regulator (1:1.7)
* Front splitter with support stays

Hio Tony
Sorry to hear about your bad luck again and I hope you manage to find some thing rust free be it a Puma or not.
Barry

My last Puma (Thunder) rotted away so when I bought this one I was more careful and knew what to look for.
I even had someone with me who also looked over it and confirmed it was good underneath.

It might be worth looking for a lowish mileage early car as they do seem to be hardier to tin worm. Mine's needed the sill plated and a few minor bits underneath (and it lived by the seaside), but nothing like some of the thunders or post '99 cars I see on here.

I went to the Puma yesterday to strip off parts ready for sale.

I also had a good look round it and couldn't believe the state of the rust. This goes to show how quick rust can eat these cars away in literally a few months...

DF2F45C9-64E7-40BF-AB51-982E7F1B0F4F_zpsu3lpbise.jpg

8C8D8353-BCA3-4841-8469-0760D8369218_zpsobftyc2w.jpg

F4DD8D96-1A62-4D21-8705-46C680979A62_zpsptrkadj4.jpg

83D92D41-3A65-4A5D-A5DE-EA8549BC001A_zpsppe3bwhk.jpg

089F175B-31CF-460C-84E2-4D6339CFEBA9_zpswzb9xjjp.jpg

1DEA18DC-3530-4CAC-B27E-FF1F6840310B_zpsivkaq9ny.jpg

The good news to come out of this is the engine has been donated for the repair of an FRP.

I'll possibly put up a for sale thread soon for:
Pair of good headlights
Rear beam FloFlex poly bushes (fitted but never used) + genuine rear beam bolts & nuts
Pair of poly bushed (FloFlex) wishbones
Set of AP coilovers
Possibly billet rear beam spacers - 30mm with bolts, 40mm without bolts
Power steering front cooler pipe (very good condition)
Pair of rear flexi brake pipes (fitted new but never used)
Pair of rear arch repair panels from the forum group buy

If you do sell that gear I'd like to have first dibs on the wishbones and 30mm spacers. Also are the rear brake pipes steel braided? If so, interested too. It all depends on how much you want obvs as I'm not mr. money.

My puma was rotton like that too. Lucky I can use a welder at work and I patched it up. I went to a scrappy last week and there was an X reg puma there. I pulled the carpets back and the floor was solid. The sills looked good too.

Latest posts

Back