New TPS won't drop revs.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terribl3Tim

Hi all,

My 1.7 has been struggling with a delayed accelerate, random stalls and hesitation for about a year. In that time it's had new leads, ignition coil, sparks, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, lambda sensors, injectors, the MAF has been cleaned as has the ICV. You name it, it's had it. Along with the engine stuff all of the suspension has been done as well so it's practically a new Puma.

Only this week did I finally get around to changing the TPS lol and amazingly it solved the problem...however there is an issue. The first TPS I fitted was aftermarket and caused the revs to stick at around 3k and not go down after revving to that speed first go. Back to the shop it went and today I got my hands on a new one from ford for a pretty penny.

So it's driving beautifully, accelerates like a beast and the gear change is a lot smoother BUT the revs are sticking at 2k and not coming down, including when the clutch is depressed. I cannot for the life of me work out why. I took it to a garage and got a full ECU diagnostic done and absolutely everything appears normal but it will just not come down.

It's manageable but I'm relying heavily on the brakes as the car just auto drives and I get no natural de-accelaration. I can take the car up to 60 and lift my feet off all of the pedals and just sit back and it'll stick at 60 for as long as you like.

Why on earth is this happening? It's driving me mad. At first I thought it was mechanical but this doesn't seem to happen if you sit and rev the engine when sat on the drive, the revs will go up and down normally, it's only when you keep it above 2k for more than 10 seconds and then let off does it decide that 2k is where it wants to be and doesn't let go. It's almost as if the ECU is keeping hold of that value and then not releasing it.

The revs do however come down with braking.

Hopefully someone here will know the answer.

Hi
I would think it's the throttle body butterfly, linkage or throttle cable that's sticking. If you can get the car to hold onto 2 thou revs parked up just open the bonnet and see if you can press the throttle linkage back to reduce the revs manually.
Barry

Look under the front driver side of the front bumper, you'll see the power steering pressure sensor on the steering rack. There's two very thin white cables going to it, check that they haven't snapped. If they have (either one or both) re connect it/them and you should find that the revs should go down especially when you pull up at lights etc.

Merry Christmas

Latest posts

Back