New Year. New cars. Input required.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

OK, this is the year that I have always planned to move my registration on.

Two years of the 996 have been all I can ask, though the Nurburgring still beckons. That being the case it is likely that it will be sold May or June.

But where do you go from simply the best affordable coupe in the world?

Here's the fleet profile

The Skoda pick-up stays. It is used for boring local trips, taking stuff to the tip, booze runs to Northern France and skulking around at night when maybe you don't want to attract too much attention from Norfolk's four policemen just in case you have edged over the limit a tiny bit.

Mrs XIIVVX currently runs the Jagdeo which is now at 170,000 miles, a diesel that returns around 50 to the gallon on her 70 miles/day commute. She would like a 'sports' car, but losing any mpg is going to make her work look expensive.

I can't envisage going to a less competent performance car and probably need to do something completely different. Things I have considered in passing are a replica pre-war / post-war MG two-seater or just grabbing the Jagdeo back for myself and getting her something 'new'. I mostly work from home, don't commute and do little travel for my work. My motor industry freelancing means I often get manufacturer cars for assignments anyway.

The 996 will net me about £20,000. I ideally don't want to spend all of this, and would be happiest spending (say) £5,000. If I just fell back to the Skoda alone for myself and put that money to the (say) £2,000 we might get for the Jagdeo that would release £7,000 for Mrs XIIVVX's transport

So you see there are lots of options.

But I know this place is good for thinking out of the box. Let's hear it.

XIIVVX

How about something entirely different and characterful? Something like this for instance...

3428354-3.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3428354.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or if you're feeling brave, perhaps a TVR of some description?

With c£5k-£7k there's a fair old choice out there. Took me long enough to find my latest car so my advice would be to have a run through the Autotrader for a few ideas about what's actually available. Hopefully then you can narrow your search down and you may even see a few that you never even considered.

@ Neil - No garage I am afraid, hence no classics that deserve pampering. Nice thought though.

@ Red - S2000. Won't that double our fuel costs overnight? Nearly 500 miles a week commute for Mrs XIIVVX

@ Yip - Will do, but this place is never short of good ideas

In general - There is still a desire at the back of my mind to return to Puma. If I did that I have enough money to fight the tinworm for a while - then maybe a 1 Series coupe BMW oilburner for her?

For zee frauline

To keep the economy she's used to, but with something more soul full and sex I would be thinking the following

1- Alfa GT Jtd Blackline/Q2- good economy, engine is shared on other platforms and returns good mpg in a sexy pinafore body

2- Alfa Bera- see above, but abit more fuel due to 200bhp 2.4jtd lump

3- bit left wing this but a 406 coupe hdi, rare to find but a proven engine and good looking car??

For Humpton von XIIVVX

1- R32 GTR ( 20 years old, so classic car insurance is now do able- plus its as much of a legendery car as the 996 is, but to different crowds, and its well well within budget coupled with any of the above options

2- A FRP (changed due to my error opps, Don't sell to any breakers boys, or Neil ;) )

3- Alfa 147 GTA- cause its monte bella (and you can be a 2 Alfa family)

Thats just my thoughts, all do able within budget and with change to spare- I think?

Scotty, Rob didn't break his FRP. The knobhead he sold it to did.

Scotty - you are not wrong

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3485586.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also the Mito, of course too

Good call.

Mito's just a posh punto thought really- and I never thought I'd say this, but I think the punto is better value and better looking then the Alfa.

Someone get me a coffee or cappuccino, I can't believe I've said that!.

I'm with you on that Scotty. I'm trying my hardest to like the Mito, but the front end really doesn't work for me, and the interior just seems to be made of generic Fiat group parts. It doesn't have the character of the earlier cars for me.

Again you are not wrong, but for Mrs XIIVVX the Alfa badge and grill would be a sign of 'sportiness'

I also considered retaining the Jagdeo for her and getting a GTV (old style - soft-top) for myself. Now I hate convertibles/cabrio with a loathing, but then she could use the diesel to commute (It's also a nice big car so she has some metal around her on the deadly A14 each day) and she could pose in the Alfa at the weekends when the distances are small so the fuel economy is not so important. Also in this scenario, consider an SLK.

I mostly drive the Skoda anyway so the shame of being a grown-up male in a flappy-top would not be too overwhelming

The 96-07 GTV is very appealing at current prices - £3K would find a nice GTV6...

Neil said:
I'm with you on that Scotty. I'm trying my hardest to like the Mito, but the front end really doesn't work for me, and the interior just seems to be made of generic Fiat group parts. It doesn't have the character of the earlier cars for me.

its coming to something bad when the 2 biggest alfesti's on the site say that

I don't get how they can make such a hash of the mito, yet the Guilette (which is loosely based on the new Bravo) is a nice car.

My thoughts on it are they tried to shrink the 8c styling, and to me, the styling on the 8c lends its self to wider cars better the little ones.

Hmm the Alfa Spider (96/07ish i think if i understand?) is very nice. I'm not sure the new Spider is within budget on this- knowing Alfa it will be though.

Correction- of course it is, and with alot of change!! http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3387172.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a result of some on-line competition I entered I seem to be testing a Peugeot RCV next week.

Not something I think will appeal, and above what I want to spend, but I'll do it for interest.

Do you mean the RCZ? I look forward to your thoughts on this Rob, it's a car I've been interested in for a while now.

:oops: Er... yes. I have just googled it and I must mean the RCZ.

I'm driving the 200bhp petrol. There is apparently an oilburner too, but as I am not interested in the car as a serious ownership proposition I'll stick with the one that sounds more fun.

Sorry for the confusion.

It's the same turbocharged engine as in the Beige Box. It will be interesting to see how this engine performs in a larger sized car (I'm guessing better, as driving a standard Mini Cooper S or JCW is a pretty ragged experience).

Back