no cold air! only hot!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawty84

Hi the wife has just bought an 2000 1.7 16v zetec puma which correct me if Im wrong but I believe is the 'thunder' variety - full leather interior etc!

Anyway - the heaters only blow hot air, we can turn it off so I know its nothing to do with the blower, but even on cold, its hot, a/c on its still hot all with everything set to cold! Is there some kind of valve which switches over that perhaps is failing? Any ideas will be appreciated1 Many thanks!

You need a new Heater Control Valve - common Puma problem. Easy to fix - there's a guide here <--- clicky.

Don't buy tat off eBay, get a genuine Ford part, FINIS 1714716.

sounds like a heater control valave problem a simple job and about £40 for the part from fords,beware cheap ebay ones have a rep for failing pretty quickly.Theres a how to guide here how to do it iirc.Also do a search here on HCV or heater control valve for more info

Good luck with it and welcome :thumbs:

cheers! quick replys! Ill have a look and get it done at the weekend! cheers!

Hello mate,be thankful the HCV isnt stuck on cold!Defo buy a Ford one and congrats on the 1.7 Wise choice. :)

As others have said, get the Ford one if you can. If not, get one from a motor factors. I've had one of eBay and it dies after around a day...the one I got from Euro Car Parts works perfectly.

OK so i have replaced the hcv but to no avail, wife came back from work today and said its all still hot! I m wondering if somehow the dials in the dash have come loose or disconnected? On an older car I had alongside the drivers footwell were connecting rods for the dials, is it the same on the puma? As maybe one has disconnected? (dont you just love buying parts, only to find out you didnt need it!)

Hi! Haha yes i did actually go out and check but yes I did! Still doesnt work though! I had a feel of the dials and I have to admit the hot/cold dial feels rather loose as if nothing is attached????? Comparing it to the one on the right feels right and switches if you get what I mean! How do you access the area? I took out the ashtray but couldnt get up behind and I felt by the passenger footwell, I could feel the cable for the vents dial but couldnt get my hand past that to feel for the hot/cold dial! Also I dont suppose you would know where it ends? As I could check if there is an end?

Sorry I cant help regards access as I have never done it but Im sure someone has,maybe do searches on heater control panel as I'm sure I read how to do it ages ago.

Did you get a ford one by the way?

I think I would be checking fuses and checking you have power to the HCV before pulling the heater control panel off.

That has all been checked and checked out ok! Had it in a garage today and the mechanic agrees with me that there seems to be no resistance on the heater knob! Although the wife has also reported losing water and had to top up for the second time in as many weeks! Maybe the two are connected somehow?

Well I guess the next step would be to get a sparkie to check out the switch or to get a used heater control panel.Having said that this will be the first time I can remember anyone having problems with that knob.Several seem to have had probs with the fan speed though.

I dont think the water loss problem will be related.Check all the hose joints and radiator and under the water pump for leaks.

Mine went the same way.You have to take the stereo out first,then it unscrews easy.

OK so all fixed! Needed a replacement heater control panel as for some reason the hot cold dial had failed! All sorted now! Thanks for all your help

Back