Noisy Rear Suspension

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a bit of clunking coming from the rear suspension, so guessing its time for the bushes to be replaced? I know the shocks and springs are grand as they were checked last May when I had the engine swapped.
I usually buy the parts and get a mechanic to do it for me, so wanted to check I get everything I should. Also think it may be worth doing the wheel bearings at the same time?

After reading a few posts on here I plan to get:

Powerflex rear beam mounting bushes (take it they come in pairs and that's one for each side?)
Febi rear top strut mounts (seem to come as singles so have to order 2?)
Rear wheel bearings kit from http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/pr...ts_id=753924&gclid=CKrX97Tt4cMCFSYYwwodK1wAQQ (can see they come in singles, so have to order 2)

Does this look about right and is there anything else worth doing whilst in there?

Thanks

That all about right. :grin:

Remember that for road use, be sure to go for `Purple` Poweflex which are softer and more forgiving than the `race` black series.
You might want to pick up a pair of new rear beam bolts too (less than a tenner from Ford)

There`s not much else to do in there, rear brake overhaul possibly..

I wouldn't count on rear shocks checked last May as being ok now 9 months later, it take one pothole in one second to kill one.

I wouldn't see the need to do the bearings at the same time either unless you suspect a problem, but if you do you will need two new hub nuts as well as they supposed to be single use. :thumbs:

I thought my rear suspension was clonking but then I tightened my spare wheel carrier up and the clonking stopped :D

Car hasn't done 1000 mile since getting shocks checked, but obviously can be checked again at time.
Wanted to do bearings and bushes as its '01 car an they'll never have been done, so hopefully help handling and economy.

Back