Not starting...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMARSH9

Hi all,

New to the forum and wondered if anybody could offer some advice...

I've owned my Puma for about 3 years now, at first as a city runaround as didn't need the car for much else but now looking to turn this in to my weekend/project car.

I have had the car stored on my driveway for the past year or so while I sorted a few things out in the house and am now ready to begin my fun!

I disconnected the battery when I SORNed the car and when I reconnected it this weekend it didn't turn over, I tried jumping it with my work car and it roared in to life. I left it running for a few minutes and then went to move it so that I could get some decent charge in to the battery when it cut out... I tried jump starting again but this time no luck. I added some fresh fuel and have now replaced the battery thinking that maybe the battery was past it's best however this hasn't worked either. The car turns over well but doesn't start - could this be a simple as needing a bit of a service, change of spark plugs etc. as it's maybe all a bit clogged up? I had planned to do this once it was up and running anyway so have most of the bits I need already.

I can do all the basics - general servicing, brakes etc. but not sure where is best to start here... I'm guessing this is going to be a process of elimination but any help on where to start would be appreciated.

Further info;
2002 (52) 1.7
No advisories at previous MOT
No issues at all before I took the car off the road - which is the main reason I kept it to eventually run it as my weekend car

Look forward to any and all responses!

Cheers,
Chris :)

Hi Chris, and welcome!

The usual cause of the Puma not starting after being left for a while is the fuel pump gives up the will to live! Although this may not be your issue if you've had it running but it's still possible. These pumps do not like to be left unused.

When you turn on the ignition to the position just before start you should hear a 'hum' from the back end/tank area. This should be the fuel pump priming the system. If you can't hear it the pump MAY have failed.
To check you can disconnect the fuel feed pipe on the fuel rail. Put it into a suitable container and get the ignition turned on. If all is well with the pump fuel should come out of the pipe.

Obviously with the above please use caution when dealing with fuel!

Also for future reference, if the car has sat for a long period it is best to get the engine to turn over without actually starting to get the oil circulated first. This can be achieved by disconnecting the fuel pump then cranking it over a few times. :D

Latest posts

Back