Notchy gear change...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywood

When im changing gear it's becoming notchy, is this another indication that the clutch is at the end of it's use, or does the transmission oil need replacing? Or is it something completely different?

might be release bearing, but also could be worn caulk synchro rings in box

fresh gearbox oil could help for a limited period of time

I changed my oil recently and has made the world of difference, feels like a different box, but that might be somthing to do with the state of my oil and bits of cable tie that were in it :-(

remember boys and girls you can drain most out through the 1st selector detent ;)

I tried removing the oil from my o/s drive shaft, but she was as stubborn as an old mule!! so I gave up and just drained it out of the bottom plug, but tipped the back of the car up in the air by about 4ft to try and get most of it out. didn't take a photo but I strained the old oil and found the offending tie wrap shredded into hundreds and thousands, explains my notchy gear changes! lol. like you say Yip I'm still puzzled by the weird excuse for oil that came out! but at least there's fresh in there now, and it changes like a dream! :thumbs:

yippeekiay said:
When I changed my driveshafts none came out (well, maybe a teaspoon if that) - should I be concerned :?

sounds a bit low you know how to check level dont you?

Thanks chaps! I reckon it may be the release bearing, what with the slight slip of the clutch now and again as I change gear but not during normal driving. It's in for a complete fluid change and cambelt next week so we'll see!

Thanks for your help!

slayllian said:
I changed my oil recently and has made the world of difference, feels like a different box, but that might be somthing to do with the state of my oil and bits of cable tie that were in it :-(

I hope you wasn't the culprit!

urgh, guilty :oops: dropped about 10mm off the end into the box, but pleased to say sorted now!

Back