Nurburgring 2009 - Technical upgrades?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenithus

Basically I have so much to do, but should hopefully get it all sorted in time.
Need the suspension doing, bushes too, new front anti-roll bar, exhaust, air filter, possibly 4-2-1, possibly sport cat.

Less than 6 months to sort all that out! Haha.

Zenithus said:
Need the suspension doing, bushes too, new front anti-roll bar, exhaust, air filter, possibly 4-2-1, possibly sport cat.

Erm I'd say the most important thing to consider if driving The Ring will be your brakes...stick a set of Mondeo V6 ones on and you'll be OK. The standard Puma setup doesn't even suffice for medium road use IMO.

Make sure we have a chat next weekend re passengering :lol:

Mondeo V6, what size are they? Sounds like overkill to me.

The later 260's with good discs and pads will do for even spirited driving i would say.

jacko said:
will practice gt4 but yeh; u can see its a hell of a lot bumpier than in the game!!!

That and it's serious game over if you lose it and hit something at speed...no chance of a restart by pressing a button plus the fact you are some 800 miles from home...thinking about how to get your stricken car back.

DradusContact said:
Mondeo V6, what size are they? Sounds like overkill to me.

The later 260's with good discs and pads will do for even spirited driving i would say.

275mm, definitely not overkill if you intend to do some proper braking more than a few times.
You really don't want to be going into a corner carrying speed with your foot on the stop pedal and little happening, The Ring isn't blessed with much run off area.

Of course you don't have to drive it hard but for me I don't drive 800 miles just to potter around it! It isn't like any road I've ever been on in the UK, both in terms of cornering AND endurance.

I suppose, im not willing/able to spend the kind of money that set up requires though.

DradusContact said:
I suppose, im not willing/able to spend the kind of money that set up requires though.

We're talking about £200 odd quid here. It'll be cheaper than maybe trailering your car back to the UK and fixing the damage from going off and you would have fixed what I see as the biggest dynamic failing of the Puma.

But like I said, it's up to how you drive it. In my case it was like a red rag :twisted: I did overtake a Ferrari 355 mind you the guy was taking it easy I think (and then I came off a bit later but went back on).

If you want to find the limits of your driving skill and your car setup...this is the place for it (which is why so many manufacturers test their performance cars there). Or isn't, maybe.

I'll definitely be inveestigating the brakes I think. Might be nice to stop if I actually need to :|

With the difference between 258mm and 275mm discs being 13%, that's not going to make up for a lack of talent in the braking department anywhere IMO let alone on the Nurburgring. You'll get better braking with decent components on the smaller setup than crap components on the larger for instance.

Know the course as well as you can, don't go mad on your 1st runs and you'll be fine.

#0013 needs a bit of work too - I think one of the front shocks is knackered, and the rear discs and pads need replacing too.

You don't have to go made modifying your puma just to take it on the ring, mine will be going on there as standard, the difference is, I won't be pushing stupid speeds that I can't handle.

The best set-up in the world means nothing if you run out of talent.

Back