OBD and ABS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is - but a bog standard OBD reader will not be able to access the ABS module. You will need a full reader which costs many ££ unfortunately.

If you have access to a laptop running Windows XP you can buy off Ebay an ELM 327 interface and then download Forscan for free off the internet. This will then enable you to do diagnostics on your ABS.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-CAN-BUS-USB-Auto-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-Reader-Tool-V1-5-/390665722455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5af57dda57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barry

tuonokid said:
If you have access to a laptop running Windows XP you can buy off Ebay an ELM 327 interface and then download Forscan for free off the internet. This will then enable you to do diagnostics on your ABS.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-CAN-BUS-USB-Auto-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner-Reader-Tool-V1-5-/390665722455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5af57dda57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barry

I bought one of these but didn't received it. Now waiting for Paypal to solve it :-(

I ordered mine off this particular link and it arrived in a couple of days, did you use the same seller?
Barry

tuonokid said:
I ordered mine off this particular link and it arrived in a couple of days, did you use the same seller?
Barry

Yes, I did. He hasn't even replied yet. He only has 2 days left to do so via Paypal.

I hope you get sorted with it. Did you email him before you went to paypal? Maybe he's just waiting for some more stock to come in.
Barry

tuonokid said:
I hope you get sorted with it. Did you email him before you went to paypal? Maybe he's just waiting for some more stock to come in.
Barry

Yes, I did it too. Who knows, maybe somebody just stole it from the mail box and the seller doesn't bother a few negative votes.

tuonokid said:
Barry
Same here, same guy and it came a few days later. As you said, guy probably waiting for new stock (as opposed to Grand Theft Auto scam to get £6.38)

I went a bit OTT and bought this one :) Ordered Sunday night, delivered Tuesday.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBDII-Modified-Switch-Forscan-Elmconfig-Ford-Mazda-High-Low-CAN-/161827337165?hash=item25ada933cd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It comes with a CD with drivers and Forscan on it.
Just out of curiosity I tried it on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I was pleased and surprised to see it installed without any problems. I just connected to wifey's 1.6 Puma :) .
I can confirm that you will not need Win XP for this one.
Paul

Just to add to what everyone said about the ELM327 readers...

If you think it could be a sensor problem you may be able to diagnose an ABS problem with a multimeter stuck on the end of the sensors as I recently discovered for myself.

It's a bit of an arse ache to do but it worked for me when I didn't want to wait for delivery of the reader.

I was about to get resistance readings of between 1000 and 1200 on all 4 wheels and a voltage reading of 0.2 volts when spinning the wheels as fast as possible (apart from the problem wheel which returned 0 volts).

danielz000 said:
Just to add to what everyone said about the ELM327 readers...

If you think it could be a sensor problem you may be able to diagnose an ABS problem with a multimeter stuck on the end of the sensors as I recently discovered for myself.

It's a bit of an arse ache to do but it worked for me when I didn't want to wait for delivery of the reader.

I was about to get resistance readings of between 1000 and 1200 on all 4 wheels and a voltage reading of 0.2 volts when spinning the wheels as fast as possible (apart from the problem wheel which returned 0 volts).

thanks
If an elm327 reader will do it Ill put up with the light for a bit.
Car drives and brakes fine.

Finally Paypal will give my money back taking it from the seller account. The seller tried to use a track number from another shipping to my country as a last resort, but it did not work for him.

Unbeliveable, all this trouble just for 12€.

Back