OIL! Coating underneath engine on driver's side. With pics

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattraisin

Problem after problem for me. Was checking for play in steering components, wheel off driver's side and the drive shaft looked oily as heck on the seal, but also everywhere around it. Stuck my head underneath and could see oil, some of it definitely fresh, coating the bottom of the of the engine on that side, the inside of a plastic cover that has a line on the inside of it, pretty much everywhere. It seemed (maybe) to come from up the side where the cambelt is.

Should I panic?

Pics: Untitled by mattraisin, on Flickr

Untitled by mattraisin, on Flickr

Thanks!

It may just be the rocker gasket cost about £30 for a Ford one (don't get a cheap one off ebay) and there's a how to guide to fit it :thumbs:

I think that must be it, I just found two bits of rubber in amongst the oil which looked liked bits of the Gasket. Is that bad news? I just started the engine and a few times it did this very strange shuddering and then failing to start. Then I tried again and it started like a dream.

Its hard to say without seeing it but rocker gasket leaks are very common and often leak on that end of the engine, also into the spark plug cavity and over the back right of the engine over the gearbox. You might want to check the condition of the cam belt visually as well to make sure the bits of rubber aren't parts of that.

Its a fairly easy job just make sure you get a ford gasket. Some folks also use a gasket sealant as well as the Ford gasket.

There are some starting tips on here somewhere but turn on the ignition wait for the lights to go out and turn the key without using throttle.

Definitely not cam belt. Grey rubber that looked like the one taken out of the car in the how to on here.

As Questy says. Most likely Rocker gasket. Get a new ford one, then get it swapped over. Can't hurt to change it, even if it is not the problem. Get some kitchen tissue and wipe around where the spark plugs are. Don't remove them until there is no oil there (assuming you may have oil there). When oil is clear, remove plugs and clean. Could be a good idea to make sure ends of HT leads are clean and oil free too.

Had mine done today! £34. Now good as new. Defiantly not terminal. Could just be a tea spoon full but it looks like loads. ;0)
Get it in the garage mine cost £142 with a fitted fuel filter and half a litre of gearbox oil.

Wow my mate charged a tenner to fit my gasket cause I couldn't be bothered lol

Latest posts

Back