Oil leak and weird exhaust noise?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubSea7

Hi lads, 2nd post on the forum - but basically I bought a wee 99 Puma Mil and it runs great, but has 2 problems I need help on...

1. Oil leak when running, from the engine on drivers side front somewhere, runs down behind the pulleys and blows along the bottom of the car, can't see where the hell it's coming from but hoping its a common leak u guys recognise. Rocker cover?

2. A weird exhaust "fart" from the front end / under drivers feet level; at exactly 2k rpm and not a penny more or less! If you hold at 2k it is continuous and sounds exactly like a bad exhaust blow but when driving it only makes a blip of the sound as you pass thru 2k...so brief in the lower gears but pronounced in higher gears as you take longer to cross that rpm. Weirdest thing is that at all other revs it is silent and sounds perfect. I though heat-shield but there doesnt seem to be one at that end, and when you lie alongside it while idling, and rev it with your hand, the noise never appears...only when driving under load, though there seems to be a slight rumble from the flexi section when revving by hand but its slight.

Cheers for any help!

The rocker gasket is a common problem and is best repaired with a proper Ford gasket. Also theres a how to guide here that will help.

Cheers mate, it seems to be coming from behind the alternator bracket area.

Rocker gasket was the cause of mine too, had oil running down the back and sides bu the pulleys, only buy a genuine ford gasket, also my rocker cover was warped so got a second hand one, use gasket sealant too

Cheers for the info mate, I will get a gasket on Wed and tackle it before the weekend. I think I'll take a look at U-Pullit local breakers cos they are the cheapest around for big bits, full cloth interior is £50 and leather is £80 if they have one.

Latest posts

Back