Oil leak from gearbox - how to fix?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serth

I've got a leak coming from where the box bolts onto the bell housing in my 1.7 pumad fiesta. I checked the bolts and they weren't as tight as I'd had imagined they should be so I tightened them but no change.

When I put the engine in my car (~1k miles ago) I filled the box up with oil from the higher hole on the side until it spilled from the lower hole.

The oil drips from the join onto my strut brace, and then gets flicked/blown onto the wishbones and then all down the underside of the car. Oh and all over the drive!

What can I do to fix this? Gasket sealant or a whole new gasket?

I would check that you put the oil breather back properly (i.e. the square cap on the hole on the top of the box) it has an arrow on the top of it that should point forward.

Also I have heard conflicting info on what the oil level should be from level with the lower hole to 1 cm below the hole measured with say an allen key.

Tightening the bell housing bolts wont solve anything if its not the breather causing the problem it will be a seal that need replacing.

I did check the oil breather bung but can check again. Doesn't seem too bad on top of the box though and I can see drips on the bottom of the box where those loose bolts were.

The bolts were what held the box part to the bell housing, not the bell housing to the engine. Surely these bolts hold the box to the bell housing with the seal in between? Anyone know the part number for this seal?

Latest posts

Back