old but still shafted

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest63

After 12 years of not driving I was hacked off to find I had lost all my NCB, you lose it after 3 years apparently. I got a 10 month accelerated NCB fully comp for £650 but I am unsure if other insurers recognise this as 1 years NCB does anyone know???

I am wondering if it might be best to bail out now at the 6 month plus mark, is this usually allowed when you have paid up front??? i.e getting refunded, so I'm getting quotes elsewhere

Couldnt believe the following when I got quotes last time

1) TPFT and TP were more expensive than fully comp wtf wtf wtf

2) It was more expensive to keep my car in a garage wtf wtf wtf

When did the insurance rapists start charging interest if you wanted to pay monthly????
mine wanted £300 more to pay monthly, are they all the same???

Car insurance seems to be going up for everyone :(
As far as I'm aware there has always (well since I've been driving) been some APR for paying monthly, it's a credit agreement after all. You could get a 0% purchase CC and pay off in full, then pay off the CC monthly?

quest63 said:
1) TPFT and TP were more expensive than fully comp wtf wtf wtf

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/insurance/2009/08/the-best-insurance-is-often-the-che" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is worth a read through
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bonus accelerator policy with admiral maybe? I asked about this and as long as you have covered 8 months(i think) they give you a years no claims certificate. Which would be a recognisable certificate to most company's (i believe) that's what im doing now. Mines over 2k though, so im not sympathising with you :p

Yes it was with Admiral the c****rags lol. I will be checking my small print I didnt realise I might get the NCB after 8 months.
Oh go on sympathise a bit I is old it should be practically free, I once had to pay a grand back in 84 for a 2.8 capri I'm still smarting from that one lol.

mines £780 on the 10 month with elephant only reason i havent changed now is due to breakdown cover included in that. And i give a big :thumbs: to there breakdown guys.

Thought it was only 2 years before your NCB was invalid - at least it was on Motorbikes. Better check that as it means I don't have to stump up insurance to keep my bike NCB for another year. Dunno why I bother as I haven't decided if I ever want to ride a bike ever again.....yet....lol.

EDIT:- seems it's 2 to 3 years depending on insurance companies.

Had a quote from Adrian Flux who gave me an Aviva quote today, it was twice what my annual premium would have been with my current insurers. Oh yeah and they said they only had one insurer who recognised accellerated NCB and they werent the cheapest anyway.

How do they get away with this s*i* it should be illegal

I think I might be able to give you some answers on car insurance...i work in it!!

Yes, a 10 month accelerator policy will give you 1 years NCD with other insurers.

Yes, NCD does become invalid after 2 years of non-usage

TPFT and TPO are generally more expensive than comp now because a lot of insurers have cottoned on to the idea that most of those people with those policies are MORE likely to crash their car and also, it means they can claim more off the other company in the event of a claim thus hurting the other companies financial position.

As to keeping the car in a garage this will be either one of two things, a. a system glitch (and these happen all the time!) or b. more pumas have been claimed against in the area that have been kept in a garage than on your drive.

And on another note, Saga can be great to go with at first but they become a problem when you want to leave when they put your renewal up as most of the time they will only provide a maximum of 6 years proof NCD meaning if you've got over 6 you won't gain additional discount. That said...a lot of insurers the difference in % that they give between 6 and 9 yrs NCD is minimal, often 0%

Insurance...... :roll:

I do wonder if i will ever get below a grand on my car. It annoys me when i see people with similar spec and power cars, similar basic driver risks similar post code risk etc yet they are 4 or so years older and get insurance at 1/3rd what i do and have done for years. When i was growing up you were told it gets significantly cheaper after 25, then there was no change and they said after 30, yet little change. Makes me wonder if the age group keeps getting revised upwards!! or if people born in my decade will always be screwed. Does make you wonder if there is a birth date cut off where those born before get extra discount compared to those born after.

hi warren

i get the same feeling, unfortunatly any body born after 1980 seem to be getting a hard deal. The most i ever payed was £600 for a XR3, i had when i was 20. I payed less for my WRX SL. What i cant understand is why it costs a 20 year old +1000 for insurance on a KA.

i have to get my wife to insure the car and put me down as named driver because i had company cars for years (without any claims!) - and apparently lost all my (full) no claims as a result. wtf

I got a letter from my company stating how long I had been driving company cars/claims record and Aviva started me with 30% no claims.
You could go with a company that allows you to earn your own no-claims discount, independant of your wife, even though you are on her policy.

Hi Rick,

i tried to do that but because the company i worked for for most of that time was bought out and dispanded i could not prove anything! -i did look into the idea of earning my own no claims while on my wifes policy but the the quotes where alot more than the best we found - the realy anyoying part is i have n`t had a fault claim since 1992, have a clean licence and i`ve been driving since 1985!!

Its got nothing to do with the severe winter and all of the money insurance companies paid out in claims then?? Im sorry but I smell a rat with insurers this year. They tried to hike up the premium on the ST by £200 and thats why I sold the thing and bought another puma. I dont really care if a statistic says the chances of this or that happening is a possibility based on a national average it should be down to the age experience and history of the individual.
I also have a god daughter who has just passed her test, my god she pays £1800 a year for a saxo!! her boyfriend pays £5000 a year for the same type of car. The avarage fine in court for no insurance is between £250 and £500 so where is the incentive for young drivers to get insurance. The state should subsidise young drivers and restrict engine power/size for three years, I feel so sorry for the youngsters these days :-(

Latest posts

Back