Oldest tyres you have had on a car

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigglebug

Put four Rainsport3's on the Puma today. I'd already noticed a while back that the fronts were five years old hense the need to change them but when we took the rears off they were made in the 39th week of 2003! Now that is some old tyres, no wonder they didn't grip too well!

I've got one on my Fiesta from 2000 that I took off the Westfield, it's really noisy and I don't trust it so no high speed for me in that!

I've got Puma spares in stock never touched the road, still with the moulding spikes from 99/00/01

Shame because they look lovely but I'd not recommend them for use!

My Clio 182 had a pair of Michelin Exaltos on the front. They were the original fitment and had been out of production for years.

Hi,
My 2000 moondust has the original tyres on the rear only having done 14k. The fronts are the new spares off of both my Puma's they are in perfect condition and they perform very well even compared with newish tyres. I did get the tyres checked by my trusted tyre supplier who I have bought from over the last sixteen years for my whole family who gave them a clean bill of health
Regards,
Richard.

Until late last year my wife's thunder still had its 2001 original good years on the back.The fronts had been changed in 2008 but I put 4 Michelin Pilot sports on it and the whole driving and handling and steering feel was transformed. tyres over 5 years old are a liability and I have been told this by numerous people in the tyre industry.

When I bought a 1957 Ford Prefect in 2004 the spare wheel had a cross ply on it with no date code.....I didn't put it on the car! :grin:

They were in poor shape really and looked even worse off the rim with no air in them, quite a lot of heavy cracking to the rubber. Interestingly the spare is a Pirelli so could be the original and that didn't appear to have any sort of deterioration on it at all.

Given that tyres for a Puma are not exactly rare or expensive I simply cannot understand why anyone would trust old tyres with their life.....or the poor sod they kill when when their tyres don,t stop them quick enough.

It was proved recently in the classic car mags that old tyres simply don,t perform as well as new rubber regardless of the amount of tread they have or what they physically look like.

Each to their own with their opinions on this but tyres are one of my biggest motoring niggles......family members hate me at times because whenever they turn up on the drive they know I'll do a walk round their cars, especially my kids.

redexr said:
[post]349649[/post] Given that tyres for a Puma are not exactly rare or expensive I simply cannot understand why anyone would trust old tyres with their life.....or the poor sod they kill when when their tyres don,t stop them quick enough.

It was proved recently in the classic car mags that old tyres simply don,t perform as well as new rubber regardless of the amount of tread they have or what they physically look like.

Each to their own with their opinions on this but tyres are one of my biggest motoring niggles......family members hate me at times because whenever they turn up on the drive they know I'll do a walk round their cars, especially my kids.

Couldn't agree more. When I first started driving, I used cheap tyres as money was very tight. A few hairy moments made me realise cheap or old tyres are not worth it. I now always buy what I believe to be one of the best tyres I can get, whether it be for the van, daily, or the puma.

You have to remember, it doesn't matter how good the rest of the car is, the tyre is the only thing between it and the road. Just not worth it.

I had the worst experience on car due old tyres, one exploded while 180km/h on a Audi 80 years ago, I'm alive 'cause was rear.
I learnt not to save on them as well as brakes.

mine are from 2005... still on... good grip, no problem... last season running with them...

the winter tyres are from 2004... no grip at all... sliding all the way in every turn :D kinda fun if you know the car :)

Hi again.

I have given this topic more thought after reading the posts. All seems to be a bit mixed. I think tyres either work or do not regardless of age. If there was a problem with shelf life or mileage surely Ford or the tyre manufactures would recommend a replacement based on mileage or age as with cambelt changes. For example tyres should be replaced every 12k or five years which is ever the soonest, which in my years of driving I have never come across,that is the five years as previously recommended by the trade.

I know my tyres work well.

Regards,
Richard.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
[post]349711[/post] If there was a problem with shelf life or mileage
Yeah, there are guidelines around, but normally tyres just lose tread as they are driven and then thrown away. So, the subject doesn't come up much.

For example, ROSPA say 10 years on driven tyres - http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/vehicles/tyre-safety-technology/information/

http://www.profiletyres.co.uk/tyreAgeing.html

I think most people know this anyway, you only have to look closely at 15 year old tyres to know that you don't fancy driving on them.

I can't remember if your static Puma still has the original tyres on it, I would imagine so. However, seeing as it's not being driven, I don't see any reason to change them.

On the tyre subject generally, without even trying I found Uniroyal RainSport 3 to fit a standard Puma for £39 a corner. Back in the 90's, a decent tyre was around £60 and much narrower!

Hi Frank,

A valid reply, thanks. On this subject I am coming from many different directions. All have merits. The enthusiast who likes to drive their Puma with spirit on the roads. the driver who does track days etc. I am coming from this an owner who has the luxury of owning two great Puma's on opposite sides of the coin. As many of you know who have read my threads my motoring days started with the humble Mini. I went into Mini Coopers and Mini restorations. Sorry going off track here...suffice it to say if I had could have bought a Mini that was sixteen years old in 1975 with 14k on the clock and totally original including original tyres that were no longer available I would have done so, it is a piece of motoring history. I will not go on about the Mini. My point is that with my Puma I will keep it as far as I can factory fresh and in show room condition and that includes the tyres. Have we lost sight of the original question of this thread. How old are your tyres?' So who has got the oldest tyres?

Just a thought what about all the old classic racing cars from 1920's to date that they bring out of the museum's to track days? are the inspected by the tyre police " Sorry sonny you cant take that out there your tyres are older than five years"

Regards,
Richard.

I can relate to Richard wanting to keep the original tyres on an ultra low miles minter. I have competed with my Xr2 in modified concours at Ford fair for years now and luckily that class does not penalise new tyres, but the standard fiesta class boys will pay a fortune for the old Pirelli P6 tyres. I've got on one a spare that I only use for show purposes.

You certainly wouldn't want to run on 30 year old stuff.

I have an original from 2006 still on my daily, keep meaning to replace it but it's got so much tread because it's gone so hard lol!

Latest posts

Back