Oops!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyW

Had a bit of a bump in the Polo this morning :-(

Came off the dual carriageway near work, off onto the small sliproad which develops into a hairpin. Slowed right down as I could see the fresh snow on the slip road, and I know how bad it can be as we at work have seen so many people skid and slide round there in this weather. When I came to turn, the car refused to go where I wanted and went straight on and into the kerb. Not a nice sound -she went with a bit of a bang :? Impact I'd say was about 10 mph.

What do you think will need checking? Tracking? Buckled wheel?

Will see what it drives like on the way home, but may just end up getting it checked over at the weekend. My argument is that's it's German and well built, so it'll be fine :p

Thanks,
Andy

(and the mean black German machine)

awww :( you just be careful getting home please!

But yeah definately get the tracking checked and any signs of buckling on the wheel...

I hit the kerb at a similar speed in the Starlet when we had the last lot of snow mate - didn't cause any damage I could see. Tracking seems fine too.

Might be ok, like you say, see how it drives. Worst case probably lower arm, wheel, strut, driveshaft, but with luck it will be no more than alignment and wheel balance.

If you hit the kerb with the wheels 90 degree to the kerb (i.e. as if you were going to drive up it) then it should be ok. If you actually hit the kerb on the side of the wheel I'd say give them a check. Either way, if you'd done damage the chances are you'd feel it out of balance (vibtations) at certain speeds as that would be the first sign.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Took it out for a drive at lunch and everything seems as it should be - it drives fine, like it always has.

Will still get it checked when the weather improves though.

Back