Overheating

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

Driving to work at 600am this morning expecting my only problem to worry about is my rear bearings and this happened

sideoftheroad.jpg

Familiar sight now lol (got to laugh or cry)

As soon as the engine warmed up it just continued to heat up, even when the fan kicked in it still continued.

I pulled over befor it got excesive. Basicly had to kep pulling over and let it cool down. Anyway got it home and now im trying to determine the problem. There are no apparent leaks and water level has not dropped.

Im thinking thermostat, water pump, air in system and the fact its only got tap water in it.

I know antifreeze has a higher boiling point than water and i should have that, but its only started today and has been fine with water for over week.

All The pipes are hot so i can only assume the thermostat is ok as it wouldnt open up and fill all the pipes. Or cold this still be my problem??

Im going to try see if there is any air in it first, nd see if its that/ can rule that out.

Is there a way of knowing if the pump has gone???

Any other opinions or help appreciated

dude im so sorry to hear this. I cant help you im afraid but I hope you get this sorted!

I cant help with diagnosis..... but for what it's worth since my HCV went about 10 days ago it is mainly water that is running round my coolant system (albiet welsh mountain spring water as it was all I could get at store nearby when HCV did its thing).
Ad there has been some spirited runs..... water alone hasn't caused an issue, though I will get proper mix in when I replace HCV.

Sounds like air, or water pump...

Not sure where there sender is on the Puma, but IIRC on the V6 Mondeo's if the water pump fails that you don't get much warning as the temp sensor is in a "cool" part of the engine.

Fingers crossed it is an easy fix.

Ive got horrible feeling the water pump is behind the cambelt, Really cant afford another week off work

The water pump is indeed behind the cambelt:

(to the right of picture with orange sealant round it)
[albumimg]1233[/albumimg]

You can do it without removing the cambelt it's been said, but it's tight:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=4330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just looking at my old engine and thought it was, cheers dal for the bad news if it is that lol

Ive just drained the water out, its orange, does that mean anything??

Probably just residual coolant and surface corrosion from inside your rad. IIRC coolant is also a corrosion inhibitor.

Just looked at water pump, alternator, engine mount will need, aux belt, and cablet cover need to come off and it can be done, just like you said dal "tight"

Is the fact the water is getting around the system (the fact the pipes are hot) a sign i could rule out the water pump???

Are you sure it's not just the HCV?

If you turn the heater to hot and the fans to full, does it take the temperature guage back down a bit?

I had this problem but lost water / coolant , was a problem with thermostat housing, all fixed for less than £50

good luck with the repair

Havent tried that, but ill try that if trying to get the air out doent work. Im jus leting it cool down then go for a little drive to the round about neer me and back so im not to far from home.

Just been for a 40mile, "frustration" blast and bleading it has seemed to of done the trick.

Hope thats what it was anyway, but thats all ive done to it so it must of been that.

So i think its one problem sorted :eek:k:

Just waiting for the back wheels to seeze up now lol

Never rains its pours (maybe that should be my signature lol)

Mine was overheating as the fan wasn't working so I just turned on the heater and it brought the guage back down to central each time. Was a pain driving round spain in 100 degrees with the heaters on though...lol

Then I came home and found the fan connectors were on the wrong way round so could have had a 'cooler' holiday...lol

Driving to work this problem has started again. As cherie said driving with heater on hot and on full it brings the temp down to normal. But I have to keep it like that to keep the temp there. Does this mean its the HCV or something else?

Latest posts

Back