Painting Drums

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

As im taking the back wheels off tommorow and taking the drums apart to change the bearings, i think it would be rude not to try tidy them up a bit.

Can anyone reccomend way to do this and stuff i would need to get them shining black???

Would have thought you would be fine with whatever shade of Hammerite matches your taste.

EDIT:- pipped at the post by seconds it seems. :-D

Rub off all the surface rust with a wire brush, and go over them with some coarse paper.

Don't paint the front of the hubs too much as you'll not want thick paint where your wheels attach.

was gonna say get sum sand paper out and a wire brush.. show us pics as im gonna be doing mine soon :D

When I did mine:

Before:

DSC00891.jpg

After:

DSC00916.jpg

Wire brush, metal type sandpaper at 80 grit, then 240. Then I used some spray paint - high temperature stuff from Halfords, but Hammerite would do just as well.

Try not to get too much between the hub and the back plate into the hub area - I used newspaper to mask the gap off.

Yup - think it had Elvin. Look's more like that now really after another 25,000 since I did it.

They are on my project page

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.ph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &start=100

i used quick dryin enamel from wilkinsons for 2.79 its heat and water resistant i paint my calipers and drums with it glossy bright yellow and dirt n brake dust wipes straight off,

Back