Painting front grille

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom B

So, the grill on my car atm is silver for some reason, im not too keen on it tbh and i want to spray it black to keep it original.

What will i need to do this? Plastic primer? and i want the grill gloss black, so if i buy a couple of tins of gloss black, will i need lacquer on top?

Bit clueless on this, i know its going to be hit with stones etc so want it to be properly done!

Cheers if anyone can help! :)

You don't need plastic primer if its already been painted.
  • Rub well with p400 wetordry sand paper uniformly until there is no shine or gloss.
    Clean well with degreaser
    I would use an etch primer for a vulnerable area like the grill.
    Rub down lightly (p400 dry)
    Clean well with degreaser
    Spray light coats of good quality acrylic gloss black (spray back first, if its off the car)
You don't need lacquer if spraying gloss. Don't be temped to bog on heavy coats, build the finish up slowly.

personally i would lacquer it, the gloss black out of cans isn't the best, so a few coats of lacquer will give it a good shine

Hi there, would it not be easier to buy a new one from ford or a second hand from eBay or a breakers?
Wouldn't have thought it would cost much!
Anyway good luck mate!

could always bring it to me, i can do it properly with a spraygun, i'm a painter by trade, i'm only down the road and would do it for a tenner

Thanks for your generous offer, I may well just do that, would save me both cash and time! Do you have a garage i could google to see how far off you actually are? :grin:

Iv just finished painting both of my front grilles . . . . . . but didnt go for the subtle look.
DSC00113.jpg

Focus ST Orange :) What a pain in the a*** color to get hold of!

Does the bottom grill all come off in one piece? Like big black part that goes straight across right at the bottom? is it asy to get off?

cheers.

Yup, its all one piece. Its very easy to get off, a 30 second job :)

There are 4 clips along the top and 4 along the bottom of the grille. You can stick a flat head screwdriver through from the front but i found it easier to lay under the car and pop them off from the back.

Audio_Bully said:
Focus ST Orange :) What a pain in the a*** color to get hold of!

With good reason I suspect :p

Not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

Just managed to get the grill off, took me about 25 mins though haha! :oops: The clips were all bent from where a previous owner must have mangles them :-( Starl maybe painting it for me tomorrow if he reads my Pm in time :)

The clips on the very bottom part of the bumper are completely mangled.

I know its definately not to everyones taste, iv had very mixed comments about it but I like it :)

Latest posts

Back