Part or Full Synthetic?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamis

Feeling quite lazy this winter, I put the car in for an oil change. For some reason the garage has charged me for fully synthetic oil, which I don't mind because I know it keeps it's properties for longer therefore can go longer between oil changes.

However, is there any test I can do to make sure the oil which is in the engine IS fully synthetic and they haven't just charged me for full and put part synthetic in?

I don't want to run the car more than 5k miles between it's next change if it is only part.

Cheers,
J.

Err the recommended oil is semi-synthetic but I suppose fully synthetic should be ok?

5w30?

And I don't think there's anyway to tell.

Yamis said:
I don't want to run the car more than 5k miles between it's next change if it is only part.

As Red says, the recommended oil is semi synthetic and good for at least 10,000 / year (Or is it 12,000?)

I changed the FRP every 6,000 as it went for a brake service at that interval anyway., but the 1.7 always ran to the full service interval and never had anything but the recommended oil.

I put fully syn in mine in april, however Dal advised me afterwards this wasnt a good idea, as the oil can be too good for a ford engine. Ive never actually heard of this before but when i do mine (in the next couple of weeks hopefully) i will put boggo ford semi stuff in.

DradusContact said:
I put fully syn in mine in april, however Dal advised me afterwards this wasnt a good idea, as the oil can be too good for a ford engine...

Did I? :shock: Don't remembr that. I remember saying that I'd rather put the Ford stuff in though as that is what is recommended.

DradusContact said:
You said fully snyth oil would be too thick to proprly lubricate it when cold?

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=1363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It wasn't that you'd put fully synth in, it was the wrong grade that I was concerned about as you used 5W40 instead of 5W30.

Fully synthetic is always better as it's properties are stronger and should be better for cold starts. I've no problem with it being in there and I don't mind spending the money.

I thought Ford brough the 1.7 service forward from 10k to 5k?

Cheers.

Back