Power Steering... I'm stumped...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian G said:
[post]358544[/post] Yeah just seen the project thread, running non-standard hoses. Lots to go wrong there.

Totally agree Ian. I'd be pairing back to original parts and then building back up to a stock system. That way you know it's designed to work. Wouldn't surprise me if Christian is trying his hardest to fix a power steering system that never worked. May be cheaper and easier to just build back a non-ac system with secondhand parts from you and Barry

XAF said:
Wouldn't surprise me if Christian is trying his hardest to fix a power steering system that never worked.

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking the system may have been tempered with in an effort of readjustment to meet someone's preferences or something and it just never worked...

A similar thread has been discussed recently and I must admit I'm interested in having replacement hoses made up in more long lasting materials but I would have taken the whole hose and fittings to somewhere like Pirtek to see if they could replicate the fixings and the shape.
By the way the hoses on my scrapper are pretty rusty and I wouldn't bother putting them on another car especially with the cost of the new unions on top of it. I'm sure Ian will have some in much better condition.
Barry
PS I think Warren Palver on here may be going down the route of making his own hoses????

Hi Christian, here is a pic of the ends of a brand new power steering pipe without the unions on. Once the
Unions are on they pipe and tightened on, they are on. As I understand it you can un-bolt and bolt back on. They are once use, but as in fitment to the pipe, not as in fitment to the pump / rack.

The shape of the ends is quite detailed, so wonder if aftermarket parts match the closing surfaces in exactly the same way. The 'male' part sticks out quite some way into the pump / rack.

Hey guys...

Thanks for digging out the photos... having looked at the original Ford Adapter.. the only bit that sticks out past the threaded part of the adapter will be the tapered bit at the end... still leaving enough room for the fluid to circulate around it and into the pipe...

I am pretty confident that it is just the wrong adapter... the only way that the fluid is expelled from the pump is through the hole in the side of the threaded shaft... the adapter I am using at the moment screws right past it and blocks it...

all will be revealed later in the week... my only concern is that having driven it without PAS for the past 3 months... I hope it doesn't feel too delicate to drive in comparison... I am gonna miss the feel of the road...

I am gonna try and carry on in the project Puma thread... so any thoughts would be great over there...

I am really enjoying my new hobby though... I knew nothing about PAS... and now I think I have a good understanding how it works... it is a very simple mechanical system... whether original or new pipes are used... houldn't make too much difference as long as the system is intact... which at the moment... mine isn't..

been thinking about fixing/filling fibre glass recently... I wanna get my splitter on...

Cheers

Christian

So...

I went to a local hydraulics and pneumatics place and explained the problem... I even took the old pump in... we cobbled together a cou0ple of adapters and came up with a solution... not pretty... but it is just to get through MOT...

Fitted it today...

IMG_1896.JPG

and... it works perfectly... for the first time in four months... I have PAS... feels like driving a very different car now... very little feedback from the road... it is going to take some to get used to it...

MOT tasks
1. Offside Rear Sill Welding - Done
2. Fix PAS System - Done
3. Sort out Emissions - Cataclean the day before the re test...

I am very happy...

Latest posts

Back