Project Puma: Black & Red [Chris AKA Tyeboi] [Picture Heavy]

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still not convinced my puma is running the best it can.

I have noticed then when cruising around 2,000rpm and i put my foot down full throttle theres a significant delay....

theres a lot of noise coming from my FRP air box but no neck jerking acceleration. im sure it was better before all this crap went wrong.

maybe its running lean/rich.. maybe its the KA lambda sensor that was fitted as a cheap fix.

Or is this normal. I know its a 16v and they dont have the best acceleration but im sure it was nippier before... maybe i should stop crawling round at 2,000 rpm and drive it like I want to around 4,000rpm.

any ideas people?

Oh and this was the ABS replacement I did the other week... (Await Pics)

Quick question... Might be a real noob one but are the drum brake shoes meant to have some sort of padding on them? or are they meant to be metal plates like mine? lol ....

Love the Bk alloys especially in the gloss black, How much would you want for them? and also with the offset being 34 will they fit and if not how do i make them fit? defo interested if you will include the spacers!

the offest is not 34 its 45 as I wrote.

I am looking for £150 for them as they will come with a set of 4 not very good tyres. I am not trying to do anybody over so I am giving you a no bullshit assessment ok.

I had custom 3mm spacers made for the front.

They went on my 2000 puma without any problems until I lowered it. Then I needed the front spacers to clear my coilovers and then I did a rear axle change at the back to a 1997 Puma axle which for some reason it narrower so i had to buy the 20mm rear axle extenders. Its tight with the ABS there aswell but it does fit with patience.

for £150 you would get:

4 BK 16" Alloys in gloss black (A few very small stone chips but nothing visible from like a metre a way)
4 195/45/R16 Tyres (Runners)
16 Black Tuner Bolts Needed for the Wheels.
Custom 3mm Front Spacers

Tell me more about your car and I will try to help make sure they fit.

If no longer interested I will send to Ebay in about a week as I know they will snap them up.

TyeBoi said:
They went on my 2000 puma without any problems until I lowered it. Then I needed the front spacers to clear my coilovers and then I did a rear axle change at the back to a 1997 Puma axle which for some reason it narrower so i had to buy the 20mm rear axle extenders.

Funny you should mention that the rear beam is narrower, as this is the problem I have on my FRP.. Wondering whether they changed it for an earlier model rear beam at some point?

put it this way. my wheels went on fine on the 2000 axle but when i did the axle change so i could fit my sports dampers the wheels didn't fit properly. so i had to order those spacers to push them out and then i had no problems I never looked at both the axles next to each other but they must be different lengths.

:( can't wait for this rolling road day now... just want to hear what they say about my car cause im still not confident its running very well. it runs great when cruising about. really quiet, nippy, smooth(ish cause of being lowered a silly amount) but once you floor it then the smile disappears off my face.... from 2000 - 3500 revs it feels like someone is applying the brakes a little and restricting it so bad then at 4000 odd it finally picks up and drives like it should.... Its still making a slight gurgling sound from the inlet pipe at my front bumper which is attached to my FRP airbox....

Hopefully they will find something in the fuel mixture to help me sort it out...

Oh and i read somewhere that if your petrol cap doesn't hiss when removing that somethings not working right.... i duno maybe i drempt it.. but mine doesnt hiss and that right up my street with fuel problems...

Looking good Chris! Still keeping the green theme? Yeah - I heard the same about the petrol cap 'hisss'.

Fuel tanks hiss all the time cos the air cant get in to replace the fuel's space as it goes down, usually happens if you fill right up then run it right down. Its quite normal, like a cola bottle pssssst.

If it doesnt hiss, a loose filler cap can allow a slow passage of air to offset that vacuum effect as the fuel runs low then I suspect the fuel cap seal isnt sealing properly. Remember cola bottle - psssst - as you drink the cola more air in bottle replaced when you open. Keep an eye on it and maybe buy a new one or the washer thingy that goes round it.

that sounds like a good idea.... hmmm so if the air was getting in then technically the pressure would be low like you said and if the pressure was low then maybe thats the cause my headache with fuel mixture atm....

anyone else know anything about this?

wheres the washer for this you say??

at the top near the actually hole in the body?

there a two washers (I think) one on the cap and one in the pipe. You have a little silver flap on the pipe hole, its a small washer there and the rubber seal on the cap which corrodes over time with all the twisting.

i think i will have to replace them.... i am going to have to do my fuel pump again soon anyways so I will do it at the same time..

do you reckon your average auto factors will do the washers?

and do you have any pics?

that rear end of my car has had that much attention!

Im not sure where to get them. I had a similar problem with my old Rover 420i. it was lagging 4th 5th and didn't hiss (it used to whoosh air before) So I took it to a garage who told me what I told you above!

Hope you get it sorted, nowt like paying for nice rich petrol and having it drizzle through

I think my car is ready for the rolling road! nice bit of redex sorted me out after all those horrible fuel problems.... I think its finally ok again....! super unleaded on the day might be an idea though!

you'll have to let me no what yours makes on the R/R

erm just to go back to your question about the drum brake shoes.... i suggest you buy some new ones, your brake shoes are shot!

yeh I noticed when I took them off again... VERY uneven ware on them! personally I would rather just do a disk conversion at the back instead of spend more on the drums but another day lol..

Ive Pm'ed you back dude.

Latest posts

Back