Puma 1.7 Cam Belt change

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigdlo

I am part way through changing the cam belt on my Puma, with the engine still in the car, and am following the excellent instructions posted by xztraz, but have a few questions.
1/ The power steering pump and bracket has to be removed, but the instructions aren’t very clear. Has anyone got a photo of this with the engine out of the car?
2/ What is the best method of locking the engine when loosening and tightening the crankshaft pulley bolt?
3/ What size torx socket will I need for the cam pulley bolts?
Thanks in advance.

These may help. Allison Automotive/Chris is a member of Project Puma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5cshTubGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCldL_f5uPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJHgF-e1skA

Hi
With the engine still in the car you can't loosen or tighten the crank pulley bolt without the special tools listed in the same guide as the bolt is a stretch bolt which is massively tight. When I did mine (with the special tools) the bolt was so tight I had to use the weight of the car against the bolt just to shift it and on tightening I had to use a 3" breaker bar with a 4' scaffold pole over it to achieve the required tightness. Leave it alone if you don't have the special tools or take the engine out and use a flywheel locking tool.
Barry

These are the tools required.

The black circular plate bolts onto the pulley and then the arm with the red handle locks onto the plate and can the be braced against something to lock the crankshaft.

I had to get someone to counterhold without a tool for the the crank pulley, There is no real easy way without a tool. Even my milwuakee impact gun couldnt break it.

Thank you for your quick responses. I will make some tools similar to those in the photos.
Having changed umpteen cam belts on different cars over the years, I have to say that the Puma is definitely the hardest!

You also need to read and understand Gates technical bulletin 036 for setting the cam belt tensioner, if you don't follow the bulletin exactly the belt will end up jumping teeth on the sprockets and ruin your engine.
Barry

Gates technical bulletin 036:
https://imageapi.partsdb.com.au/api/Image?urlId=wCSvr0CB34avFnm%2F4J8wxh8g5rhnroFJhu7B7bp00iQJXgxiQFy1zUoDQVWmS6Pd

Guys, I have a big dilemma:

My car is a '00 1,7 Futura MHA, 130'000 km (81'000 miles) from Germany whose belts have never been changed.

My problem is I am trying for months to find a replacement car with the MHB engine, Euro 3. All because my MHA can no longer circulate in Barcelona or Sant Cugat where I live. I don't know if I'll ever find an MHB in the whole of Spain but if I did of course it wouldn't be worth having the belts changed now (500€)

How big do you think the risk of belt rupture might be?

alerno said:
Guys, I have a big dilemma:

My car is a '00 1,7 Futura MHA, 130'000 km (81'000 miles) from Germany whose belts have never been changed.

My problem is I am trying for months to find a replacement car with the MHB engine, Euro 3. All because my MHA can no longer circulate in Barcelona or Sant Cugat where I live. I don't know if I'll ever find an MHB in the whole of Spain but if I did of course it wouldn't be worth having the belts changed now (500€)

How big do you think the risk of belt rupture might be?

I'm not sure, I had mine changed yesterday. The mechanic reckons it's not the original belt though the car is a 2001 on 44,000 miles.

The belt looked fine, not perished or frayed although the outer had a shine to it and no text printed on there anymore. You can remove the top belt cover and check for yourself the condition. I was very conscious of mine snapping though so had to get it changed for peace of mind.

Yeah, in the end I also had mine changed a month ago. 500 euros. Specially for the belt tensioners everybody told me snap before the belts themselves.

My Pumita is now only a toy, I can't go inside the cities nearby, but I have all the curves around the hills where I live.

Back