Puma 1400 rally project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny h

Ok thought it was time to start a thread……

I have decided to build my own Puma rally car. I’ve no mechanical expertise but I have a Haynes Fiesta manual and a Ford 1400 rally build manual (thanks Jacko!)

I owned a 1.7 from new some years back – loved it!, and almost bought a FRP after being invite to a FRP launch day at Silverstone (where I got taken out by Alan Menu in a full fat rally Puma!).. but after much deliberation I ended up with an Elise.

I got back into Pumas last year after driving one on a frozen lake in Sweden http://www.icedrivesweden.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it was an amazing experience and at that point I decided to sell my 205 rally car and build my own puma rally car.

After much debating between a 1.6 and 1.4, I decided to go for a 1.4 as there wasn’t a great difference in bhp between the two and it will put me in a sensible class for rallying. I finally bought a low mileage one as below –

Just%2520bought%25202.JPG

I then proceeded to strip the interior of the car….

IMAG0813.jpg

Cleaned up the seams….

IMAG0908.jpg

And tried my hand at welding which I have never done before in my life.

The outcome was a weld that looked like the bottom of a bird cage and resulted in me blowing holes through the floor and setting fire to the under-seal on the underside of the car!! :?

IMAG0902.jpg

I’ve now decided to leave welding to the experts!!

looks like a good project.. At least you gave the welding a go, you never know until you try :lol:

Flying Scotsman said:
..when I manage to stop spending on the other pumas.

:funny: Good luck with that

Welding looks like you had no gas on if it is mig

johnny h said:
Ok thought it was time to start a thread……

I have decided to build my own Puma rally car. I’ve no mechanical expertise but I have a Haynes Fiesta manual and a Ford 1400 rally build manual (thanks Jacko!)

I owned a 1.7 from new some years back – loved it!, and almost bought a FRP after being invite to a FRP launch day at Silverstone (where I got taken out by Alan Menu in a full fat rally Puma!).. but after much deliberation I ended up with an Elise.

I got back into Pumas last year after driving one on a frozen lake in Sweden http://www.icedrivesweden.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it was an amazing experience and at that point I decided to sell my 205 rally car and build my own puma rally car.

After much debating between a 1.6 and 1.4, I decided to go for a 1.4 as there wasn’t a great difference in bhp between the two and it will put me in a sensible class for rallying. I finally bought a low mileage one as below –

Just%2520bought%25202.JPG

I then proceeded to strip the interior of the car….

IMAG0813.jpg

Cleaned up the seams….

IMAG0908.jpg

And tried my hand at welding which I have never done before in my life.

The outcome was a weld that looked like the bottom of a bird cage and resulted in me blowing holes through the floor and setting fire to the under-seal on the underside of the car!! :?

IMAG0902.jpg

I’ve now decided to leave welding to the experts!!

johnny h said:
It was an ARC welder or 'stick' as the Americans call it.

The welding on cars is generally too delicate for ARC, mig or tig is the preferred. Top effort for having a crack at it though.

If your really serious about giving welding a go, have a look at local collages, some may do a night school in welding. would certainly be cheaper than paying someone :eek:k:

As Cartledge_uk says you need to Mig or TIG weld the cars. Stick welding is far too brutal for the thin steel in modern car bodyshells.
Barry

Thanks for the advice, at least I know why it was so tricky.

It's in for seam welding, seat rails, harness plates and rollcage fitting with a professional next monday.

Which cage did you go for?

The reason I ask is I have been looking at cages for my hillclimb car and i'm undecided what to get

Custom cages weld in 6point. I went through demon tweeks and got about 6% discount.

http://www.customcages.co.uk/Rollcage/LoadRollCage.castle?manufacturer=Ford&model=Puma%20Clubman&type=6%20Point" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Motordrive seats arrive tomorrow, then Monday the car is being trailered up to Yorkshire for the cage welding.

When it comes back I will need to run the fuel lines inside the car. Has anyone had any experience of doing this as I am not sure how to change the existing connections for the braided hose end connectors both at the engine and at the fuel tank. Any advice?

johnny h said:
Motordrive seats arrive tomorrow, then Monday the car is being trailered up to Yorkshire for the cage welding.

When it comes back I will need to run the fuel lines inside the car. Has anyone had any experience of doing this as I am not sure how to change the existing connections for the braided hose end connectors both at the engine and at the fuel tank. Any advice?

Run ptfe lined braided hose inside the car to your bulkhead fittings then on the outside use these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-AN6-STRAIGHT-8mm-5-16-Barb-Hose-Fitting-/360668098533?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f97e6fe5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so you can run rubber/nitrile lined hose to the existing push fittings on the fuel pump an fuel rail.

Phil

Back