Puma aux belt that removes PAS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigG1985

OK guys so I'll try to describe best I can.

I drive a ford puma in my local oval hot rods in my last race I lost my aux belt and I appear to have lost the pulley from my PAS pump so the same belt no longer fit's

It was an A/C model I believe system is no longer functional but pulley/compressor is still in place. Pas pump is still in place but the pulley is no longer present.

Is there a belt that will fit that bypasses the PAS pull and goes straight to tensioner or is it a custom belt job?

I'm not intrested in shedding weight or gaining power from removing ac and PAS just the cheapest way to fit a belt with no PAS pulley installed

Many thanks

Garry

Hi Garry

I cant personally answer this directly, but you could run a length of sting or something round the required path of the aux belt then measure that.

The normal/standard Puma belts are:
6PK1930 - 6 ribs, 1930mm long
6PK1750 - 6 ribs - 1750mm long (without A/C)

Looking at the part numbers the 6PK is the no. of ribs and the last number is the length, so you could try searching for 6PK with the last number being the length you measured. Obviously adjusting the length for the tensioner..

Thanks a lot guys parts ordered cheap enough :)

Is the tensioner easily changeable with the engine in ?

Thanks
Gary

its actually a pita...
The studs (same as ps pump tensioner assembly) are a tad long to slide the tensioner on.

far from impossible
but far from easy peasy too...

Cheers be even more of a pain with my big hands lol

Couple more questions

I ordered the wrong tensioner first time thought it was any 1.25 fiesta vendor allowed me to cancel luckily

Can anyone look on ebay and confirm this aftermarket unit will fit part number 5340129 looks same as pictured to me and fits mk4 fiesta 1.2.

Thirdly where does the new tensioner mount sorry I know there's pictures and looks likes it mounts same place as PS pump is mounted rather than where the old tensioner is is this correct or is it a direct replacement ?

Thanks Garry

Also just checked my spare engine and realised it's an early non ac model the pas is mounted up front and the tensioner looks the same as this one? Can the non ac puma tensioner be used ? From a 1998 car with no A/C

Hi Garry.
You have just the part. :thumbs:
Because the PS pump is relocated with the lower option spec, the same tensioner is used. (different belt obviously)

The replacement tensioner just bolts straight on to the PS pump studs.
Shame the bulkhead is kind of, in the way..

One word of warning...

I first built my engine up with a tensioner I`d `found` on a breaker..
It failed at Donington, costing me an engine...

The tensioner is forty quid brand new (Gates)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gates-Belt-Tensioner-Pulley-Alternator-for-FORD-FIESTA-1-25-1-4-1-6-CHOICE1-2-/371734397035?hash=item568d18c06b:g:AJ8AAOSwgmJX1bx9

Cheers for your help guys. I have order a new part also but gonna use the one on my spare to get an idea of how difficult it will be to fit and keep as a spare incase.

On a different note any of you had expirience wit what brakes to fit to allow fitment of 13" steel wheels? Could I just change the disk and carrier and keep my calipers or do I need to change calipers as well? I have some pre 2000 puma brakes that are smaller than the ones fitted on my 2002 am I right in thinking these will fit 13''s over them?

Cheers to everyone that helped all fitted and it wasn't even such a pain to be fair thought I might have to take off the front mount to make enough space.

In the end I just took the pulley off the existing tensioner to remove and the new one slipped on a treat once I I've the power steering pipe bracket.

Now for some reason the ac pump won't come off I took out the 4 bolts holding it on hit it with a hammer from every angle hard as I can and it won't budge (the pipework and rad have already been removed by previous owner)

Latest posts

Back