Puma Electrics... Yay...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexwilliams840

So I've been having some trouble with my car for quite a while. It never starts well, the rev dial always sweeps when it does and sometimes all the dials sweep and the trip computer resets to 0. Any suggestions to what it may be would be great and hugely appreciated.

The Arch Bishop said:
[post]355946[/post] Isn't that usually a bad earth
Interesting thing I noticed about Puma earthing - the chassis ends of the various straps goes to painted metal and not bare metal! They are relying on the bolt/screw threads and underside of the bolt/screw heads for their earthing. Er, that is not how good earths are done, always clean the contact area underneath the earth strap terminal back to bright metal.

I first discovered this (pretty basic electrical error) when I replaced the earth strap at the back of the engine. Checked the one near the battery and that was also painted!

If the battery is new and the earths are good, it may be worth checking the alternator is charging the battery properly or if you have a voltage drain somewhere.

That's about the limits of my electrical knowledge I'm afraid!

My dad had a P reg Mondeo years ago and that started doing a dashlight disco and speedo kept dropping to zero while on the go, and that turned out to be a faulty alternator.

Back