Puma LED rear lights (with pics)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueangel

Hello all i joined up as i build something i thought you guys might be interested in and i cant see on the web anyone else making them.
I build Led tail lights for the mkiv supra but i noticed the tail lights on your puma's are basically the same.
Im not trying to be cheeky here so i wont put up any for sale threads i just would like an opinion as i will advertise on ebay.
3.jpg

ledlights004-2.jpg

042.jpg

040.jpg

ledlights003-1.jpg

LEDTail1.png

Mod Edit : Tidied up the image links, just one set of needed per image

Welcome along.

blueangel said:
Hello all i joined up as i build something i thought you guys might be interested in and i cant see on the web anyone else making them.
I build Led tail lights for the mkiv supra but i noticed the tail lights on your puma's are basically the same.
Im not trying to be cheeky here so i wont put up any for sale threads i just would like an opinion as i will advertise on ebay.

We'll need to see something to have an opinion on....

@bok

given the sun light, i dont think they will look too visible. i think thats the case for all cars currently as well... I can hardly notice indicators of cars when they are on and flashing whilst being glared down by the afternoon sun.

I can almost certainly guarantee the white LEDs won't be good enough to see by for reversing unless the very latest type (used in headlamps/drls) are used. I'd be interested in the rear/indicator arrays though if they as bright enough. I hope these will be top quality grade LEDs used too, nothing more naff than array with a few LEDs blown :-(

the lights look brighter in real life pix dont do them justice guys, im just trying to get into my photobucket and find some pix of my lights.
My lights for the supra's go for between £350 and £450 but i would think for the puma they will be quite abit cheaper i would say about £190 to £250 depending on style.[/img]

the white leds are easily brighter than a normal reverse lamp and sometimes a little bit too bright.
With all my lights i say if any bulbs blow or you have a problem with your lights just pop them back in the post to me and i'll fix them for free.
ric

i would either buy brand new lamps or for a cheaper alternative i can use second hand lamps or ppl can do this on an exchange basis.

You would struggle to get hold of new units but they appear on ebay for around £30 per side. I suppose if you had a couple of pairs in reserve you could do a swap system once people have got the lights they send the old ones back for £x off to maintain your stock.

When I talk of 'brightness' I mean reflected brightness off objects, not looking into the light with your eyes...real world reversing light use rather than looking 'cool'. I'm sure you already know the technicalities of lighting with regards to colour temperature and the human eye.
I'll believe it when I see it on this one...compared to my 36W halogen reversing lights.

I've had the lights out numerous times to consider exactly what you're proposing, but have come to the conlusion that cutting up the light to that extent willcompromise rigidity- end result, condensation in the light.
If you haven't already had a look at the back of a Puma light here's a pic:
[albumimg]2150[/albumimg]
There is a lot of curvature in it (a lot more than the Supra) and strengthening webbing etc... as well as the actual mounting thread- not things you can just simply cut off and glue back easily without compromising strength...

I scrapped the idea and just used LED replacement bulbs- good ones I might add- I had researched a fair amount before buying the ones I have.

I've already experimented with LED arrays in the front lights, as DRLs but I suspect the quality of the LEDs were not great even if the brightness was fine...could have possibly done with better voltage regulation maybe.
[albumimg]2151[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2152[/albumimg]

All the best though, I'm sure you'll make a lot of Puma owners happy.

Gimme a week bok and i'll be able to show you a working set , you talk about the strength of the light units but i wont have to hack up the unit in the slightest.
From the outside the unit will look just as it does now and will plug and play just like a normal light unit.
The led's i use are between 10,000 and 30,000 mcd and the lights i have on the car will light up the road behind without a problem in reverse.

Back