Puma track car with cooper s supercharger, idle problem.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrMechanix

Hi all, has anyone got any knowledge on a charged 1700. Ive recently added a mini eaton charger to my track car. I'm using an ERL fifth injector setup for fuelling and installed an air/fuel ratio meter to help with the setup. It's pretty much finished but I'm having a problem on idle. It surges up and down like it has a vacuum leak but there are none. The thing is when I disconnect the MAF sensor it'll tick over like a sweety, however this puts the cars own ecu into default and messes up the a/f ratio again (my exhaust is full of vpower). The setup goes, intake, filter, MAF sensor, charger, cooler, dump valve, throttle body. Should the MAF be after the charger maybe? Or is there an alternative sensor I could use or modify this one. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

i would have put the maf before the throttle body as it sense the air temp,so you will need it fitting after the intercooler as that is where the air is colder than if it was fitted to the airfilter,i could be wrong tho :eek:k:

are you running stanalone management or orginal ecu? could be a mapping problem??

also any pics of the build? ive been thinking of this conversion for a little while now and would like see how youve gone about it!

I'd be very interested in your A/F meter setup. Any details on this i.e. where you got it from, how it's fitted and if it's setup just for you to keep an eye on or is capable of sending signals to your ecu or a cutout switch.

Any info no matter how small would be appreciated :eek:k:

The car is running it's own ecu and I have added an ERL MF2 fifth injector controller which is driving a BMW M3 injector placed just before the throttle plate using a samco blow off valve t-piece. 63mm 25mm spout. Have to stretch it over a little but looks sweet. The m3 injector is the rubber pipe inlet type so a simple brass y-piece in the fuel pipe which is next to it so no need for complicated fuel rail. Mf2 uses it's own map sensor to determine cut in point at a pressure which is adjustable via a potentiometer in the mf2 itself. And a signal wire to the crank sensor for rpm pick up. This could be any signal, crank, cam, coil. A 25 turn pot makes it totally adjustable. Then there are 8 half turn pots for adjusting the amount of fuel delivered at 1000rpm intervals from 2000 to 9000 rpm should you require. Creating a fuel map. Nice bit kit and very reasonably priced compared to others.

The a/f ratio meter is from racetec as all my gauges are. There are various makes out there. I went for the larger digital one. It gives a constant display of a/f ratio and has a data logger so you can replay what's been goin on. You need to get another O2/lambda sensor in the exhaust which is sold separately. I just cut a hole in the pipe directly below the gear stick there's a handy rubber gromit/plug just in front of the gear linkage which the wires go through. Get a nut the same size as the sensor and weld it over the hole pointing to the n/s so it doesn't interfere with the gear change. Think it's 18mm 1.5mm thread. Yo might have to cut the nut in half to make it thinner. Wire it up and thats it really. Comes with poor instructions but I could do a wiring diagram should anybody need.

I'll post some pics over the weekend soon as I figure out how to do it lol.

here's some pics as requested.

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc493/mrmechanix14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what do you think?

looks awesome, any ide on how much power/torque the cars producing and what other mods are you running along with the supercharger?? also how difficult a conversion is it actually to do?

The biggest problem is getting the charger/sc mounted on the engine so the pulley is in correct alignment. It's basically mounted where the a/c pump was but you need to remove quite a bit of the original casing to get it to go on with the output pointing down the way. You need to fabricate a mounting bracket and an outlet port for the sc. From there to a front mount cooler which means the inside lower part of the bumper has to be cut out, the radiator needs to be moved forward for clearance which means extending a few pipes. The ford fuel pump isn't good enough so a swirl pot system with high press/flow pump is required, adjustable regulator. Better spark, msd coil pack with magnecor reds with cold iridium plugs. Fifth injector set up and no thermostat so it doesn't melt. Piper cams timing belt. You need to run an oil catch tank and breather as the original setup puts pressure into the crankcase and tries to push oil out of every seal it can find. 4-2-1 race manifold with high flow exhaust. Viper inline filter, MAF sensor is relocated so you have to extend it's wiring, recirculating dump valve system has to be used or it'll blow the pipes off on overrun. After that you can start thinking about pulley size. The mini crank aux pulley is bigger than the pumas so it's fairly safe boost with the standard pulley. couldn't help myself tho and went for the 5% reduction pulley. According to my maths 9psi at max rpm! Oh yeah. But it's not been road tested yet with the charger. I'm just ironing out a few finishing tweaks. Very close tho, hoping this week, sounds amazing! Let's hope the rods take it, fingers crossed :?

This was only supposed to be a quick 500 quid upgrade and has ended up almost 2k and five months lol. And I did all the work myself so that's just parts, On something like a little mx5 it's a relatively easy conversion, Puma, not so much. It's a complicated job but it can be done. Well over a hundred hours work including design and manufacture of bespoke parts. To pay someone would be astronomical. if you can't do it yourself and you aren't loaded don't even think about it lol.
Has anyone charged one before? Can't find any on the net.

nope, yours is the only to be supercharged i think, i looked into about 18 months ago but just didnt have the time needed to put into it, after seeing yours i was half tempted but after reading that its less tempting, unless it comes out at 200+bhp with good reliabilty otherwise the cost will rocket with forged interenals etc...

... cant wait for you to get this up and running properly, looking forward to seeing the performace figures for it!

Oh yeah I'm lovin that. First ever. That's like a boyhood dream lol. My cousins calling it the poomacharger :) Yes I'd love it to get the 200 Mark, can't see tho. I'd be ecstatic with 185. That'd give it of a bit kick I think. Not doin any more upgrades till the winter again but your right it'll probably end up with forged internals and a better charger etc, which could push 250. More money, more money more money lol. Hoping to spend very little on it over the summer and get a good few track days of reliable.... Ish supercharged fun out of it, then rip it apart in the winter again to make improvements. There's always things that you wish you'd thought of eh.

Thanks red. I'll put more pictures up once I get it out in the sunshine. I have three weeks till the next track day so I'm really trying to get it ready. Was doing high 1:06s low 1:07s around knockhill last year. Hoping for a big improvement with the blower. if I can get it down to the minute it'd be a weapon! 1:03s is my target for now tho.

ok so heres a video of it started before the front end went back together.

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc493/mrmechanix14/?action=view&current=IMG_0020.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds really nice , love the sound of the super charger :twisted:

this is awesome! a mate was telling me about this the other day and had to have a butchers like :)

look forward to following the progress! :eek:k:

The pictures look great ,have you got any pictures of the supercharger is mounted, and the how you fabricated it to fit. Did you fabricate it onto a standard 1.7 inlet manifold?

Thanks mate. The charger is mounted to the block and only connected to the manifold via pipework etc. I'll post some more detailed pics soon. Had lots of photos and lost them when I changed my phone. Doh! It is a standard manifold however I've flowed the throttle body and smoothed as much as I can in the inlet track.

Back