R99 JRW - Turbo Conversion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Scotsman

Turbo Conversion of R99 JRW

It has been a long time in the planning, about a year and a half. Halted by other international commitments, but now the time has come to get it done.

This will be a gradual update over this month culminating in its first official outing on the Rockingham Speedway on the 31st of this month (March 2013) which has been put together by Dal for the forum members to enjoy.

This will be the first official act of Ginger Tom Motorsport, a privateer based company who has decades of experience and knowledge that can and will be brought to bear on this project.
For more information go to
www.gingertommotorsport.com

Sorting the engine management will be Chris at Lightning Mototrsport (LMS). With previous experience with these engines including turbo charging conversions, he provides a quality service and the final touches to the project on the 20th of March.
For more information go to
www.lightningmotorsport.co.uk

A number of members here have also contributed to this project, none more so than Erroll Williams (PumaNoob). With his invaluable knowledge and custom made one off parts for this project, it would not be a reality without his assistance and input.

So to begin...
I hope this will come as a bit of a 'HOW TO GUIDE' as I know there are a few people out there with the desire or inclination to turbo charge their Puma. This is only one way to do it. There are many options and many questions that need to be asked before you find how to do your own.

For those who are looking for a budget, quick fix turbo project, this is not it. I have spent thousands on parts, 99% are brand new and not the cheaper versions of the parts.

Expectations of this project...
200bhp will be fine, but dependant on what LMS say and whether I change the injectors at the last minute, it may see around 230-240bhp, but I am not aiming for a certain mark.

The car to begin with...
Started off as a regular standard Panther Black 1.7 1998 44k miles when bought in the summer of 2010. Since then it has seen many changes both mechanically and cosmetically. You can find a build thread on my personal signature. But sticking to mechanically, we start this project an an engine that has FRP air inlet manifold # 0542, FRP cams (genuine not regrinds), FRP ECU (Genuine not TAPE remapped) and a full Milltek system exhaust from the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold to tailpipe. The true mileage on the car and engine currently rests at just over 70k.
Brakes and suspension have already been upgraded from standard so If you are considering a conversion like this, you can't forget other areas of the vehicle that will be affected.

The Parts List

Universal Intercooler
Universal Intercooler Piping & Silicon Junctions
Silicon T-piece Junction
Silicon Reducer - MAF
Silicon Reducer - Turbo Cold Side Inlet
Silicon Reducer - Cold Side Outlet
Silicon Reducer - Throttle Body
Flexible Mounting Wire Sheet
Oil Catch Tank
Adjustable Dump Valve
SARD Fuel Pressure Regulator
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Adaptor
Boost Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge
Various Dial Pods, single, double & triple
Genuine Focus RS Mk1 Spark Plugs
1.6 Head Bolts (2mm longer)
10 Row Oil Cooler
Oil Cooler Mounting Bracket
Manual Boost Controller
T28 Gasket x2
Exhaust Manifold Gasket
SS De-Compression Plate 2mm
Manifold (custom designed by PumaNoob)
10mm SS Head & Turbo Flanges
Fiesta Exhaust System - (custom designed by PumaNoob)
Muffler with 4" Slash Cut Burnt Blue Tip
Downpipe – (custom designed by PumaNoob)
Nissan 200 Turbo Elbow
3x 90 Degree SS Pipes
2x Straight SS Pipes
1x Flexi Pipe
1x V-Band Clamp with Weld Flanges
GPX2860 Turbo Charger
200 Cell Sports Catalytic Converter
5 Paddle Clutch
Clutch Slave cylinder
Titanium Exhaust Heat Wrap
2x AN8 AeroQuip Straight Hose Fitting Ends
AN8 Aluminium Weld Sump Bung
AN8 Turbo Oil Return Flange
AN8 570mm Braided Hose
Garrett AN4 Oil Feed Kit
Head Gasket x1
Full Engine Gasket Set x1
Vaccum Hoses 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 6mm
Tape ECU (std) - replacement for FRP Ecu
RHD Engine Mount - Vibra Technics
LHD Engine Mount - Vibra Technics
Torque Link - Vibra Technics
Vernier Exhaust Pulley - Piper
HD Conrod Bolts - ShawSpeed
HD Big End Bearings - LMS
Main Bearings - LMS
Uprated Fuel Pump - LMS
Battery Cable 5m roll
Battery Earth Strap
Battery Terminals
Power Junction Box
Battery Cut-Off Switches & spare keys
Sheet Aluminium (For Custom air heat shield design)
Aluminium Silver Foil Tape
Cold Air Feeds x2 - RAMAIR
Induction Filter - RAMAIR
Unichip Piggy Back ECU - LMS
Injector Over Driver - LMS
Map Sensor - LMS
Boost Solenoid - LMS
Launch Control - LMS
Resisters - LMS
Map Switch - LMS
330cc Injectors - LMS
Live mapped and Graphs (High & Low Boost Maps) - LMS

There will be videos and pictures... I will edit the first post as it progresses... After the runs at LMS I will take it elsewhere and have it put on a rolling road again to compare.

wow thats a lot of work in a month.

Looking forward to the thread

Simon

Sounds awesome, though I would strongly recommend a decent turbo, not a low quality chinese clone off ebay!

Latest posts

Back