Ramair induction cone filter power loss

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattraisin

Hi,

I installed one of these yesterday and, while the noise was initially impressive, I think it felt actually less powerful.

I have a K&N Panel Filter (unused), so I am thinking, if I bung the airbox back in, put a cold air feed in from the grill and strip out the resonator chambers, that would probably be better.

I think I might just use the hole on the front of box instead of making a FRP copy (no glue gun so CBA) - unless people think this won't do the trick.

Also, living in Essex, not having a cone filter would actually make my car very unique.

On another note, anyone want to buy a barely used Ram air induction kit for a ford puma?

Hi Mattraisin,

Many people revert to a panel filter after open cones, heatsoak's a git, Im unsure how effective the small hole at the front would be, personally I'd stick with the side feed unless you can be bothered to do the FRP mod, costs under a tenner and easy, all the time is taken up with sawing the angled hole out correctly. I've read that removing the resonator box inside the airbox is bad for torque curve, dunno how true that is but I havent been running it for 3/4 years now and did the FRP mod at the same time. Could always cover your entire airbox and induction hose with heat reflective film/tape too attempt to make more of a difference as I did.. :grin:

4cdc0929-a44c-49ad-b178-3794cae73855_zpsf6066fca.jpg

Shiny!

Did you paint your brake fluid cap (and I presume the other caps) or did you order them from somewhere?

If I was to use the front hole, I would leave the side feed in. So if it doesn't work...no bother. Will probably do the FRP mod in the future anyway. Just a quick fix so I can go back to having a little less bass under acceleration.

I fitted a piper cross filter to mine and I can tell the difference. The car feels more responsive. Have a look on my thread.

Latest posts

Back